Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger ARs anygood?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Was looking at the new Ruger 7.62 and thinking it looked pretty good.

Anyone got any idea what it's like?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger makes quality arms I wouldn't't worry about buying one.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy and overly complicated. I'd pass. That said I've not heard of systemic failings.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If I was able to get outdoors and shoot, I'd certainly buy one while they are available. I may buy one even though I will most likely never be able to shoot it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got their 5.56. A bit nose heavy due to the piston. Trigger is every bit of 8 pounds. That's all the complaints I have. Heads and shoulders in quality over the Colt HBAR I purchased just before the ban in the 90's. Every part that will get gun powder resdiue on it is hard chromed. I shot a hundred rounds the other day, and just wiped off the bolt and ran a patch through the barrel and I really didn't have to do either. If I had a bunch of 7.62 ball laying around I'd purchase one in a second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had conventional AR15's for years(gas impingement) and never really had any problems whatsoever, but did buy the SR556 and it is very well equipped accessory wise out of the box and shoots just fine. As for the SR 7.62 version I prefer the M14 version for that caliber, but there are some definite advantages the Stoner/AR platform has over the 14's. No bedding to worry about, inline felt recoil, very versatile optics mount options, controllable gas feeding as needed and more than likely just as accurate as the 14's if not more. Just old school, walnut and steel, but that's just me. You can find on You Tube video showing dealer in Ky. taking New SR 7.62 out of the box and throwing into farm pond with lots of mud, grit, leaves, etc. and testing for ability to fire under those conditions and it did not do very well. FTF almost every round.
Few civilian shooters will treat the rifle in such a manner so not really a real world test. Good feature is that it takes P Mags, readily available and at reasonable cost, and if you like the AR platform combined with Ruger back up, would say it is the best one out there at this time. I would not trade my LRB M14SA/NM for one but I am "old school."

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I'd wait till after the inevitable Ruger Recall.
jumping

Nothing wrong with Ruger ARs. Hopefully the lessons they learned with their first 556 rifles and carrier tilt will be applied to their 308 rifles.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the S&W AR10 M&P 7.62X51..308 Win. A lot lighter than the Ruger, Straight Gas Impingement, super strong 9071 Steel bolt, at a decent price. I have one in shop for $1500.00

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote