New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaching Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone identified the breaching weapon used in the episode of 24 this past Monday? I refer to the manually operated weapon used to punch a hole in the armored windshield of a limousine at close range. I'm betting it's a one-off made to stump everyone.

I apologize for bringing a Hollywood gun into this distinguished forum...but it's driving me nuts! What the hell is it!?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't see it but was it a bullet type or explosive round / hot core type ?

Any u tube link ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sputster:
Has anyone identified the breaching weapon used in the episode of 24 this past Monday? I refer to the manually operated weapon used to punch a hole in the armored windshield of a limousine at close range. I'm betting it's a one-off made to stump everyone.

I apologize for bringing a Hollywood gun into this distinguished forum...but it's driving me nuts! What the hell is it!?

wondering the same thing, good question.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
xm-26

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
perry, isn't the xm-26 basically a shotgun? Would this penetrate an armoured windshield?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slugs would with repetition. Armor of all types, with the exception of dragon skin (I think that's what it is called) will fail with repeated strikes.

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry, thanks for the ID on the M26. Most of the examples I found were of the underbarrel-M4 mounted types, but I was able to track down a picture of one set up as in the tunnel scenario in 24. This would be with a pistol grip and telescoping stock.

As to penetrating an armored windshield, that is dependent on who made it; repeatedly striking in one spot with rounds designed to breach metal doors would most likely have some effect.

It's Hollywood, but they seemed to stay in the reasonable range.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the level of armoring.... using the american scale which im more familiar with...

A 12 gauge lead slug will go right through a level 2

same slug will punch through a level 3+ but not much will come out the other side (tested this on a window off of an suv that I have because of a chipped corner, had to buy a new window)

Level 4 or 4+ will stop the slug, but 3 in the same place will penetrate......

As the levels go up, it will take more hits in the same place....... this is with standard lead slugs, if you were to go to kevlar reinforced slugs or some harder metal cored slugs, then I am sure it would take less hits....

Speaking of which, some lady got shot at in mexico a few weeks ago in her level 5+ jeep cherokee, they found over 2700 casings from several rifle cartriges, most .223...... however she survived...... So it all really depens on where the bulletproffing is hit and how many times in the same spot....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote