THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Century CR-15 AR type and Galil question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Century CR-15 AR type and Galil question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted
Anybody have any experience with either of these? Price for either is attractive and they seem availiable. NG or bargains? Thanks.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I haven't fired or handled one. I've looked at a fair number of AR's. If your just looking to blast ammo I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If you're looking for top notch acccuracy, you might want to consider spending some more money.

Questions I would have are, what type of trigger, I assume single stage (upgrading later will cost you about $100) what is the barrel twist and is it chrome lined. You can always replace the barrel later, but that's upwards of $200.

As far as the galil, they have a repuatation for a rock solid rifle. Don't know what the barrel twist is, you might be limited to lighter bullets. I don't know if the magazines they use are hard they are to come by. The 50 rounder is appealing. The upside of AR's is you can get 30 round mags for $10.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Galil is a rock solid rifle. Ken Hackathorn literally drove a VW over one and then shot it successfully.

Don't know the twist. Shoots 55s, 60s, 62s, and 69s fine.

Trigger is not as nice as a good AR trigger. Scope arrangement is better if you can find a mount. 50 rnd mag is too long to use from a prone position. Better drums are available for the AR.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Larkin,
Century c15 is made from demilled parts, most of the ones I have seen have Colt Uppers and milspec parts, cant speak for the barrels, but should be US made and decent quality.

Galil sporter and clones, rock solid design some of the assembly practices have been so so, you may get a good one you may not, design is top notch most of the parts are milspec or original IMI, again just depends who built it.
Mine appears to br OK.

Hope this helps
nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I didn't realize when I ordered the rifle is Galil's are heavy!

Maybe that's why Israeli soldiers have been using M16's and M4 clones for some years. Guess they are fielding the Tavor 21 rifle as well now.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote