Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for RRA Predator Pursuit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,
I am shopping for a scope of my new RRA Predator Pursuit. I don't mind spending a moderate amount for quality, but frankly can't spend a grand on a scope right now with a 2 1/2 week old boy at home. Any suggestions for a scope in the $250-400 range?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got an older simmons 6.5x24 on my RRA.... with a bipod, its a 1-hole gun at 100 with black hills 55gr sp's...i paid around $100 for it...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2829 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably doesn't fit your budget, unless you find one used, but I put a VXIII 4.5-14 x 50 on mine.

You might look for a Pentax gameseeker of the same size.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just bought a vortex diamonback 4-12 from doug that is rather impressive for a 200 scope, otherwise look toward nikon buckmaster 4-14 john at the optic zone is also very helpful

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carolina Counsel-

You might look to the Classified Forum or to Ebay for a used scope such as a fixed Leopold or ElPaso Weaver.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. If anyone else has a suggestion, keep them coming. cc

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I am a reformed optick snob. 20 years ago all my custom guns got the high doller European scopes and my off the shelf production rifles all had Leupolds.

Since that time a lot has changed and fortunatly so have I. The lower end scopes that 20 years ago were just plain junk are pritty good now days and the disparity in quality between top end and the bottom seems to have srunk hugely since then.
Today we have Tascos winning bench rest matches.

One of my favorites are the elite series from Bushnell. I plan on two things in the near future one is to get a varment AR like yours, (leaning towards Rock River coyote) and the other is too put a Bushnell elite 3200 5-15 tactical scope on it. I think you can get them from the discount outfits like s.w.f.a. for around $350.00.

I had the 3200 fixed 10x tactical on my 24" ar and it worked great. The problem I had was I did'nt like the heavy 24" barrel and I let the scope go when I sold the rifle.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Akshooter, I keep hearing about the Bushnells. I guess I still have that bias of 20 years ago regarding Tasco, bushnell, Simmons and the rest of the 80's junk. Maybe I should check them out again.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Heres the Bushnell I had in mind.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-5-15x...fle-Scope-P8748.aspx

Also Nikon has a line of AR scopes out that look real interesting. They call them M-223

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-m-223.html

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Counsel:
Gents,
I am shopping for a scope of my new RRA Predator Pursuit. I don't mind spending a moderate amount for quality, but frankly can't spend a grand on a scope right now with a 2 1/2 week old boy at home. Any suggestions for a scope in the $250-400 range?

Looks like Natchez has a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 for $259.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3x9 is all your ever going to make use of on a gun like that. thats good because there usually the best priced scopes going. Id look at a vx11 leupold or the leupold AR scope. Or even take a look at a burris 3x9. Both are american made.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I looked at a lot of scopes and ended up going with the practical end of things- one of the Leupold AR 3-9x40. Always been a Leupy fan. I'll post when I get her set up.