Find
Notify
Tools

DPMS 308 build question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm building a DPMS patterned 308 rifle (Yes, even here in California we can build these) and have a question on buffer tubes.

I bought a Magpul PRS (2nd generation) buttstock and need to get the buffer tube for it. Does this stock take the commercial or MilSpec size buffer tube?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fjold, I don't know the answer to your question; but you should be able to email the folks at MagPul to get it. I am very happy to see you bought an excellent lower ! I bought two of their AR10 lowers and am very happy with them. I will say, however, you should get a RR match trigger for it. I love the "beefyness" of the lower and how well it mates up with my uppers. So far, my 260 Rem. is shooting under 1/2 " groups with it. Good luck with your build and I hope you get your answer.Charles

Posts: 17 | Location: roanoke, va. | Registered: 24 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but IIRC both the DPMS and Rock River use proprietary sizes....and on the barrel nut as well.

I would hop on AFRCOM to find out for sure....and go with a SLASH buffer spring.

WOODNUT: Sorry, but there is only one AR-10 and it's an Armalite. archer

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I begg to differ (AR10comment). I own a DPMS SASS and it will shoot 3/4inch all day long. Sub MOA from a production rifle is pretty good.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irregardless of how tiny a group it shoots...it's still not an AR-10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And my comment is not to bash DPMS...merely a fact that only Armalite is AR-10.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Mil Spec buffer tube has a diameter of 1.148” while a commercial buffer tube has a diameter of 1.168”.
Take a set of dial calipers and measure the inside diameter of your stock. The stock will be roughly .010” larger than the buffer tube it was designed to fit.

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote