New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 WSSM in an AR-15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, what do you think? Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a 25 WSSM in an AR-15?
Seems like a 120gr bullet traveling around 3000fps in an AR-15 may be just what a guy needs for a little more snort in an AR Hunting rifle.
http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would rather have one of those than an AR-10. From what I understand it's for handloaders only.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't the WSSMs have a great many feeding problems? Nothin' takes the joy out of shooting an AR faster than feedin' problems...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer

I would guess in an ar the 25WSSM would use a magazine modified to be a single stack straight line feed. Which if so would probably work OK.

However I just cannot see an AR tye rifle in a calibre without a LOT of fairly cheap brass, as I would need a LOT of it. BOOM

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
owever I just cannot see an AR tye rifle in a calibre without a LOT of fairly cheap brass, as I would need a LOT of it. BOOM

me2

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would guess in an AR the 25WSSM would use a magazine modified to be a single stack straight line feed. Which if so would probably work OK.

Yes, the magazine would have to be single-stack because the base of the round is .555 inches in diameter. My post was in reference to the difficulty in feeding the WSSMs had in bolt guns when the round first hit the street in about 2003, I think it was. I don't know because the WSSM does not interest me, but I'm guessing the round was so short that control problems ensued when trying to push such a short cartridge across the long gap from magazine to breech. In any event, the original poster is free to do whatever he wishes and whatever his wallet will support...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would also tend to believe that the mag would have to be curved more, kinda like when they tried to put 7,62x39 into the 223 mags

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've talked to several people that have owned them on another board and feeding was never mentioned as a problem. As to high volume shooting and needing lots brass. Well, I think this setup is more for the hunting crowd than the spray and pray crew. Probably better suited for a guy that already has another AR-15.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I've talked to several people that have owned them on another board and feeding was never mentioned as a problem. As to high volume shooting and needing lots brass. Well, I think this setup is more for the hunting crowd than the spray and pray crew. Probably better suited for a guy that already has another AR-15.

Terry

Thanks Terry, You are correct, If I were to venture down this road it would be more of a hunting rifle. I already have a Colt HBAR II 5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel AR-15.

"Owned" them. They no longer own them, as in got rid of them. Any info as to why?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote