THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Which scope for new AR Varminter ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for new AR Varminter ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just pulled the trigger on a RRA predator pursuit AR and am looking for varmint scope recommendations.

My initial thought was a new Nikon m223 3x12, but I am open to options. I plan to shoot some pdogs at 100-500 yds.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated

=G

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got Burris FullField II 3x-9x scopes with Ballistic Plex reticles (one illuminated, one not) on my two AR15 varmint rigs.

Another scope I like but don't own is the Nikon 5x-20x with BDC 300 reticle

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George. I'm hoping to go look at a couple tomorrow.

-George

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR scope options-

Leupold 2-7 or 3-9 compact mounted in an ArmaLite 1" scope base.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I like a higher power than 3-9 for 300+ yard shots. I am assuming .223 caliber? Even 12x can be iffy on small targets. I went w/ a Sightron SII 6.5-20x40mmAO, They make a 6-24x42 now. I've never been a big fan of the BDC. I do use a 3-9x40mm Compact on an AR that attaches to the handle. It can get real challenging at long range. Maybe a 4-16 would be better. I had put a 4-12 on one of my varmint rigs. I pulled it after 1 outing and went higher. That scope sits on a .17HMR now. Expensive lesson!

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, jpat.

yes, my ar is a .223. i know some would say i have the wrong caliber for pdogs anyway. For me the .223 made sense as an all round platform.

I was wondering if 12 or 14x was enough, or if I should go up to 20x-ish. Sounds like you are in the more power is better camp.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
When shooting from a bi-pod or off my shooting bag, the higher power really helps w/ 300+ yard shots. Not that every shot is that far, but it really helps. I use low power scopes for larger game, 4x is great out to 300 yards for Whitetail.
Each type of game and the conditions dictate the caliber, scope. For some reason, this combo works for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4.5 to 14 leupold I have use most all of them power up to 24x. The higher power in great for sighting in. But out on the plains shooting p dogs the heat marige pays havok with with them.

I have shot lots of dogs at 9 and 10 x I have a 4 to 16 burris that has served be well.

But I don't buy Burris any more I went to leupold the 4.5x14 is the closest I get to the 4x16.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
These are the scopes I have gone to these days. Full lifetime warrantee, no hassle. Really great glass. They are running a $50.00 rebate right now.

Here is your 4-16x42mm
http://www.sightron.com/index....16362&cat_id=7&id=49

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have used the Burris Full Field II on ARs. Bought a 4.5-14x42 on ARBay ... and like it very much. I do like their BP reticle.

Handier, lighter, and brighter than my old 6.5-20x40 Leupold.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently considering three choices for my .223 AR as well, the Leupold VX-R, AR or the Nikon M223, any input on those choices in probably the 3-9X40?

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote