New
Find
Notify
Tools

New AR-10 build...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Suppose you wanted an AR-10, but your budget dictated acquiring the pieces over a 4-6 month period, and then having a good AR gunsmith assemble it for you.

Your budget is $1500 +/-.

I am perusing the Brownell's catalog looking at lowers.

Page 5 of the new catalog (#64) shows a stripped lower, two options actually.

The standard magwell is option "A", and uses DPMS compatible uppers and magazines.

Under it, is the same basic lower, but made to take H&K G3 magazines instead. Option "B".

regular magazines are $20, and Mag-Pul offers them as well as others.

The HK/Cetme magazines are 97 cents aluminum, and $1.97 for the steel ones from Cheaper than Dirt. These require some slight machining of the upper to work properly.

MBR's (Main Battle Rifles) should have at least a dozen magazines, IMHO. $240, plus shipping from Brownell's for the standard mags.

You can buy twenty-four of the HK for $24/$48 plus shipping.

I spoke with one of the tech guys at Brownell's and the lowers are billet, made by CMMG.

Thoughts...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

For a $1500 budget you can build a premium AR 10 if you know where to get the parts. I just build two...premium billet AR 10 receiver (matched set upper/lower) Lothar Walther stainless barrel, Hogue overmolded pistol grip, aluminum free float tube. My receivers are Mega, Mega MA TEN to be exact.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If I am betting my life on it instead of just making holes in paper, I'm not using HK mags in a non standard setup, even if they work just fine.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF the "AR" lower will function with H&K magazines, that would be the way to go.

The H&K 7.62 magazines are the best made, best enginered mags on the Planet.

They come in Aluminium [97 cents] and Steel [$1.97]. You can also get them in 5 round and 10 round, which makes more sense when hunting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Rich,

You can buy the Tactical Machine lowers https://www.tacticalmachining....ceiver-stripped.html for $229. They are DPMS compatible. Their uppers are on sale right now for $62

I bought one of their first generation "blem" lowers for $150 and couldn't be happier with it. They were trying out their anodizing and didn't get the color right and offered them at a discount. Here it is with a DPMS upper in 260 Rem:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
IF the "AR" lower will function with H&K magazines, that would be the way to go.

They come in Aluminium [97 cents] and Steel [$1.97]. You can also get them in 5 round and 10 round, which makes more sense when hunting.

They make special lower receivers specifically for the HK magazines. You can them them right away in that the front of the magazine well is cut away and from the side view there is a straight slant from the bottom wall up to where the root of the front wall would have been. I believe this to be because a HK magazine doesn't insert straight in, kind of levers in like an AK's. Am I correct on this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR25/PMAGs are the way to go.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

They make special lower receivers specifically for the HK magazines. You can them them right away in that the front of the magazine well is cut away and from the side view there is a straight slant from the bottom wall up to where the root of the front wall would have been. I believe this to be because a HK magazine doesn't insert straight in, kind of levers in like an AK's. Am I correct on this?

The H&K mag can be punched straight in, but actually it goes in a little easier with a slight rocking motion.

I must say anytime I shoot another 308 military rifle, it makes me appreciate the H&K just that much more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
SR25/PMAGs are the way to go.

I love the PMAGS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

The H&K mag can be punched straight in, but actually it goes in a little easier with a slight rocking motion.

I must say anytime I shoot another 308 military rifle, it makes me appreciate the H&K just that much more.

No flys on those HK's. Wish they still made the 91 at HK, not the clones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. The Clones have a very mixed record.

I have NEVER seen any German H&K rifle, 308, 223 or 9mm, and I have seen a LOT of them, that did not run 100% and shoot nearly like a Sniper Rifle.

And, despite some of the "rumors" I have reloaded 308 brass shot in a 91, ten times with No problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends has an early original HK 91 with the polygon bore before they switched to conventional four groove rifling. Wow...does that shoot and very accurately too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one of the very early ones, might even be a H&K 41.

I can assure you even the regular rifled ones shoot plenty good.

I had one as a work gun that I used to shoot out to 600 and 800 yards, with a Leupold 3.5-10 scope with target knobs, with Federal Match issue ammo.

For an 18" barreled "Assault Rifle" it was scary accurate.

With a 91 you can shoot a 5 round group at 100 yards, then shoot 60 rounds as fast as you can cranke them out, and then shoot another 5 round group and it will be in the same place and the same size as your first 5 round group...

Why??? the 91 has a free floated German hammer forged barrel. No gas system, to contact with the fore end...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
buy an r25 in 308
replace trigger
buy your mags
problem solved, 1500 bucks

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I caved in on this first one. I was able to buy a DPMS from a local sheriff's deputy broken-in properly; with a round count under 200 for $450 cash and a Savage 12BV-SS in 308.

I shot eleven rounds the day before I left for Vegas, .96" at a hundred for all eleven with my trusty old B&L 36X BR scope atop it.

The only issue I had (30 years ago) with an HK was the brass abuse situation.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I caved in on this first one. I was able to buy a DPMS from a local sheriff's deputy broken-in properly; with a round count under 200 for $450 cash and a Savage 12BV-SS in 308.

I shot eleven rounds the day before I left for Vegas, .96" at a hundred for all eleven with my trusty old B&L 36X BR scope atop it.

The only issue I had (30 years ago) with an HK was the brass abuse situation.

You done good Rich.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about building a lightweight AR in 308 using the G3 magazine reciever...

However, I have been shooting/hunting with the H&K 91 since 1977, and I find it near perfect in every way.