Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handed AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
I was looking at left handed upper receivers and bolts this morning. I didn't find any left handed carriers. Can I assume that the carrier and the rest of the assembly parts are standard mil-spec?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I was looking at left handed upper receivers and bolts this morning. I didn't find any left handed carriers. Can I assume that the carrier and the rest of the assembly parts are standard mil-spec?

Not the left handed carrier is different. A few things have been reversed on it like the cyclinder/piston gas exhaust holes, the forward assist teeth, and the indention to cam the dust cover open. Although AR 15 parts are milspec I don't believe the left handed parts would be because, as far as I know, the military doesn't field a left handed rifle/carbine.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering about that, I couldn't picture how that would work in my head. I found it funny that Midway would sell a left handed body and bolt without the rest of the parts you would need. That's not what I would call "one stop shopping".

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Looks like you would need a left handed barrel extension too. For me, seems like more trouble than it's worth, you would still have to deal with the limits of the right handed lower.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like you would need a left handed barrel extension too. For me, seems like more trouble than it's worth, you would still have to deal with the limits of the right handed lower.

No, the barrel extensions are the same so you don't need that. You need left handed receivers, left hand bolt, and left hand carrier. There may be some little parts like the mag release lever, possibly the selector switch, but the rest is the same.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
STAG says that that their barrel extensions are different between left and right handed models.

I have left and right handed ARs and as long as the right handed models have the case deflector built into the upper receiver the lefties aren't necessary. But, I still like shooting my lefty.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
STAG says that that their barrel extensions are different between left and right handed models.

I have left and right handed ARs and as long as the right handed models have the case deflector built into the upper receiver the lefties aren't necessary. But, I still like shooting my lefty.

I believe STAG told you wrong. The lugs are even all the way around the inner circumference of the extension. The only area cut out is near the feed ramps. The bolt has matching lugs all the way around except where the extractor is. There is no groove or anything cut in the extension for the extractor to clear because it's not needed. Here are some pictures and you tell me how a left handed extension exists:

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, the barrel extensions are the same

Now that I’m home and can look at my carrier/bolt assembly and your picture, I see that it shouldn’t make a difference. The locking lugs on the bolt (with the exception of the extractor and ejector positions)and extension look the same either direction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No, the barrel extensions are the same

Now that I’m home and can look at my carrier/bolt assembly and your picture, I see that it shouldn’t make a difference. The locking lugs on the extension look the same either direction.

Yup, you can't go by what you hear, for example someone at STAG told someone......don't work for me. I know they are the same. I build them and looking at the extension, such as you have,plus the pictures, you can see for yourself they are different. Now if it were a bolt action rifle the lug ramps in the receiver would be reversed from a right handed one. Like I said all you need is a left hand bolt/carrier groups, left hand receivers, and a left hand magazine release and I think the safety selector. Oh yeah, and a left handed shooter!

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ,

Some lefties get upset about having to use a right-handed rifle. I don’t think Fjold and I have that problem. I know Bill Ruger didn’t. While I was surfing around Midway’s website this morning over at dad’s house I came across a left-hand receiver, which started me wondering about things that I haven’t give much thought to. Thanks for your input. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

I believe STAG told you wrong. The lugs are even all the way around the inner circumference of the extension. The only area cut out is near the feed ramps. The bolt has matching lugs all the way around except where the extractor is. There is no groove or anything cut in the extension for the extractor to clear because it's not needed. Here are some pictures and you tell me how a left handed extension exists:

Smokin J:
\
Totally correct. As a lefty it's always nice to think of a rifle made for you. But as far as AR platform is concerned, my advice is stick to the basic righty model.

My dept. (Law Enforcement; instructor/armorer) we don't allow a lefty to shoot anything but standard configuration AR. Most of my lefties will manipulate AR controlls faster than righties.

You get used to the brass coming across your body pretty quickly. Once you buold that muscle memory it's pretty damn quick.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

What STAG told me was that the ambidextrous extension that they use has chamfers cut on both sides of the extension's lugs to allow for it to lock up from the backwards rotation of the left handed bolt.

The right handed barrel extension only has the chamfers cut on one side that allows for the standard bolt rotation.

Ambidextrous Barrel Extension

Price: $22.00
Product ID : BBL-EXT-AMBI

Manufacturer: Stag Arms

Description

Ambidextrous Barrel Extension. If you intend to build a left-handed AR upper, you need this barrel extension. Allows for the reverse direction cam action of the Stag Arms left-hand bolt. Also needed for building your left-handed AR upper: *Left Hand Bolt/Carrier Assembly *Left Hand Upper Receiver Assembly May we also suggest: *Left-Hand Carry Handle *Ambidextrous Fire Select

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked into this further. You are right and thanks for pointing that out. I know some guys that build a left handed AR and use a right hand carrier. That is kind of crazy to me because that means the gas exhaust ports are inside the receiver trying to exhaust to the solid right wall of the receiver. It worked for them though. The reason it worked is the right hand carrier still rotates the bolt in the same direction as the right hand bolt. Stags left handed model rotates the bolt the opposite direction and it is a true mirror image of a right hand model.

Again thanks for point that out. It's good to learn things like that.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I have built a number of Left Hand AR's using the Left Hand Stag Upper , Bolt and Carrier and they work fine the same as the Right Hand. No difference.

Posts: 5 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote