Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a 308 AR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
I have been thinking about buying a 308/7.62x51 AR. I am looking for opinions and experience with the various makers and models.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on price and availability. the rem R25 is quite available, armalite is out aways rock river is out quite aways the are all about in the same ballpark for $$. the best of the bunch i've found is the JP, but its lots more money and you're going to wait awhile of the ones i've tried the JP is by far the tops, then rock river, then remmy(DPMS) then armalite. the remmy requires a new trigger (200)the rock river you buy their 2 stage or replace the existing, the JP is superb already. armalite i'd put a new one in too.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the JP the best, by a wide margin.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Although not a "classic" AR

I like the R E P R a great deal--

http://www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I have shot two varieties, The Larue OBR, and the DPMS 16", both rifles were the short barreld versions. Both shot way better than expected. That means consistant sub MOA performance.

The OBR has the feel of a very well made rifle. Not so the DPMS, but they both functioned and shot well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about an FNAR?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry

Take a look at the 18" M1 A.

In my experience the M1 A's have been more reliable than the 308 AR's.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have an Armalite in 308 and really love it. I took the muzzle brake off and put a thread protector on. I couldn't tell that much difference in the recoil but it sure was more quiet. Accuracy is better than most modern deer rifles. I got 2 RRA Match Triggers and sent them to White Oak Precision and had a Gentleman there rework them and the are even more fantastic(if that is possible). He doesn't take the ones for an AR10 down below 3.5 lbs. as he said they tend to double if your finger gets clumsy, still there is no creep and let off is like the proverbial glass rod breaking. There are better and more expensive than the AR10 so I'm sure just about any of them are great.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Love the Rock River in .308. Although they do not have the options that DPMS Panther has for other uppers in different calibers.

DPMS uppers do not fit on RRA Lowers.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Lawndart about his.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.centurionarms.com/

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/

Both of these guys make great products and are good guys. There stuff is top shelf.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my best 600 yard score ever with an Armalite AR-10.

Emil Praslick of the Army Marksmanship Unit is saying that the days of the M14 are over and the AR10/M110 are the way to go even out at 1,000 yards. He said it's not that the M14 doesn't shoot well, it's that they break so much more than the AR-10s.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Since people are already threw in the FNAR and MIA, I'll throw in the PTR 91. Just bought a slightly used one for $950 and shot .8" group this weekend with a 4x scope and cheap monarch ammo.

The one negative of this rifle is it beats the crap out of your brass.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott

I do not know if it will fit, but you might check around and see if the H&K case buffer will fit your PTR.

If so it eleminates the dent in the side of the case.

However I have reloaded cases shot in an H&K 91 several times with no problems.

Even cases shot in a 91 with no case buffer.

Also as a plus, the cases are not thrown as far if the rifle has the case buffer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to look into one of Patrick Sweeney's two books about the AR-15. There is a section in I think the second one about the .308 AR variant. I'd have to call and ask my friend who has both books to be sure. Or you could just search patrick sweeney ar-15 books and probably find it in nine seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dige...-15-Ar/dp/0873499476

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KAC EMC.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote