New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion of Elcan Sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After reading the last post 'Best Sight for an AR-15', and the use of the EOTech sight, I wondered if anyone here has or has used the Elcan sights.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9180-54...r-optical-sight.aspx

The sure are pricey, are they worth it?

Thanks.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

It's a Dick Tracy cool idea that just doesn't work in real life.

I'm sorry but could you elaborate on this. What is supposed to be revolutionary or unique about this optic? Is it the mount or magnification, or what?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RC

If you are looking for a good AR sight that has a little magnification, is small and rugged, with good optics take a look at the ACOG.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrosVentreGeorge:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

It's a Dick Tracy cool idea that just doesn't work in real life.

I'm sorry but could you elaborate on this. What is supposed to be revolutionary or unique about this optic? Is it the mount or magnification, or what?

Here are a few things that make this like no other optic on the market.

1. Would be the magnifier. When on zero setting it's true zero. In other words there is no "eye-box" or eye relief. It's like looking through piece of glass. A lot of scopes with zero magnification cannot claim this as you still have to position the scope correctly to get a field of view through the scope. When the lever is flipped a lens inside the optic is engaged and the scope goes from 0 to 4X magnification.

2. Would be the reticle system. You see a knob on the right side of the scope. Turn the knob up and the scope becomes a red dot scope. It's fast and good for close in work. Turn the knob down and the full reticle lights up. The reticle has a BDC type setup for 600yds. It's pretty neat.

3. All adjustments are external.

As I mentioned above there are things I didn't like about about the optic too.
1. It's heavy.
2. The warranty sucks.
3. Glass could have been better.
4. the external adjustments might be a good idea in theory but make the mount somewhat fragile. I could wiggle the scope while firmly mounted to the rail. Just too many moving parts.

Below are pictures of the optic.

I sold my Elcan and replaced it with an ACOG.

The ACOG is OK but but not any good for close work. I eventually replaced it with a NightForce and found a scope I like.
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a sight that will work for indoor work, yet has a little magnification for out door work, take a look at the Leupold CQT.

It adjusts from 1x to 3x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon has a new 30mm tube model coming out that is worth looking into. I currently have a 3-9 x 40 Trijicon on an AR-10 and have been very impressed with it.

I played with the new model at the DSC show. I believe it is a 1-4 x 24, so it works good for close work. I'm contemplating using it for a 375 H&H. The tube is also long enough that it will work on a Win M70 without using offset bases.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my favorites

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1

There are no flies on that set up.

I have used several different Night Force scopes and they are an excellent product.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I went through a lot before I found this one. It's the best all-a-rounder for me so far.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI,

TC1,the nighforce,what magnifcation is it. Is it a 1X4 as I am thinking of getting one down the road.I think I would get the reticle either,FC-CQB or NP-1,which one do you have and which one do you think would be better.I plan on getting a XCR in 308 when they come out,Thanks,Kev

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hi Kev, I went with the 2.5-10X24 with the Mil-dot reticle. A lot of folks want the 1-X4 but I do very little close range shooting with mine. I've got another rig with a red-dot on it and still don't feel like I'm giving up much with the 2.5-10. Everytime I use this rig for coyote hunting I know I made the right choice.

I've narrowed all my "patriot" rifles down to a battery of 3. They all function just the same but are set up for different purposes. The one in the middle gets used the most.

Terry