THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    I aquired a Mini 14 NIB today chambered in 222 Rem.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I aquired a Mini 14 NIB today chambered in 222 Rem.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It was supposed to be part of an overseas contract but we snagged 3..................................................................jj

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They ran a bunch of 222's back in the 80's also. CDNN closed them out at a very good price back then they had them in their flyer for some time. They sell them overseas in 222 because lots of countries do not allow mil calibers to owned or sold.

Just my opinon unless one is going to keep new in the box as a colletor model they are worth less then the 223 chambered ones.

Brass/ammo in more expensive cases are easyly lost ect ect.

I hope you enjoy it minis can be lots of fun.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has one in 222 and he says that they shoot a lot better than the 223 rifles.

If you shoot one let us know.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter, I picked it up to keep it NIB. I think this run had some unique features. but time will tell beer...................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a friend that has one in 222 and he says that they shoot a lot better than the 223 rifles.

I don't know why, but the 222Rem is a very accurate cartridge. It is the parent cartridge for the 223. Why Stoner didn't go with the 222, I'd like to know. Length issues in automatic rifles, maybe?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer

They wanted a little more velocity than the 222 would deliver.

The 222 Ruger Mini-14's were for France, and other places??, where the 223, as a Military cartridge was illegal.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
The 222 neck is a lot longer and seems to stabelize the bullet a bit better. The 223 is a bit longer so it holds a bit more powder and can get better velocities than the 222.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way the bullet in a 223 bullets, especially the heavier ones today, end up in the powder capacity of the case a 222 makes more sense to me in the AR platform. You could probably load a 70 grain bullet or more, not be longer then the AR magazine, and utilize the entire powder space of the case. It may beat the 223 in velocity.

posted Hide Post
Don't shoot it I sold a used one for a grand.

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote