THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Scoped Ar-15 Accuracy...What IS Realistic??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoped Ar-15 Accuracy...What IS Realistic??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to hear your opinions/experiences on what size group at 100 yards is realistic/acceptable for a Bushmaster AR-15 with factory 16" barrel, rock river trigger, Leupold 3x9 scope, shooting Federal V-Shock Ammo 55gr Sierra Gameking bullets, with front bi-pod and rear sandbag from bench??

Today was my 1st time shooting it with a scope and I was a bit disappointed in my results. Once sighted in, my groups averaged 1&1/2" and a few at 2". The same day I shot my Savage LPV in 204 Ruger at the same type target and pretty much touched those 20cal hole all day long.

Is such a set up capable of better accuracy or are these groups about right for it.

I would love to hear what you have to say on this.

Thanks!

Frank

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What has it shot before?

A one inch group, maybe a little more to 1.5 is about normal for a chrome lined factory barrel. Some do better with ammo they like.

A match AR should shoot less than 1 inch, and a stainless carbine barrel will shoot better than 1.5 and a "standard" barrel about 2 inch or better .

Is the barrel new? Perhaps it needs some break in. If it is used how much is the round count? They can get pretty sloppy fast with some long strings of fire lighting them up to red hot. Or if they have 1000's of rounds down the pipe.

There are other things that affect that of course. You might need to try some other ammo. What is the Bushmaster barrel twist , 1 - 9? See what it does with some match grade ammo from a couple of suppliers. Try the Federal and maybe the Black Hills.

I take it you did not chrony the velocities. Some 223 hops around quite a bit and even more so in the military 5.56 rounds.

Carbine buttstocks do not necessarily offer the best for scoped precision shooting either.

Depending on how that bi-pod is attached it can have some real effect too. You might just try the rifle in a rest without that attached too.

Finally I say clean it at about 50 rounds if youare lokking for "groups" as some powders can foul pretty badly. Fire five foulers and let it cool back and then fire and check the new groups and see if it helps.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lot depends on the rfile, shooter, ammo, target.

I seen then shoot fantastick and not so well.

I would say 1.5 to 2 inch with mil bal is the avg.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say your results are pretty typical for a chrome-lined barrel, although you may try playing with your bipod technique.

If you want better go to an unlined barrel or, better yet, a match barrel.

A 16" gun is more of a SHTF gun than a target rifle.

posted Hide Post
Frank,

That's good ammunition, and a decent scope. We know you're a decent shot Wink so I would think 1.5-2MOA is possible even with a chrome-lined barrel.

Take the bipod off and shoot some strings again with the handguard resting on a backpack.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1 1/2 - 2" groups are pretty much the norm from a Bushmaster chrome barrel.

I've had a couple of chrome lined Bushmasters. You might be able to to trim 1/4 - 1/2" off those groups with ammo tailored for the barrel.

If you want CONSISTENT sub-MOA, you'll probably have to go with a different barrel.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with those groups from a stock AR.

As others have stated you might try several different factory loads or some handloads.

You might find the groups will hover around an inch with ammo the rifle likes better.

Also with a skinny barreled AR they can be sensitive to changing handguard/fore grip/sling pressure.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 1/8" groups with my stainless steel varmiter model @ hundred yards.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Assuming you have a chrome lined bore. Chrome lining can be a problem accuracy wise. My last Colt 6721 was a 2.5"-3" rifle at 100yds. My current S&W will do 1.5"-2" at 100yds. Not as good as some but the way I look at it is these chrome lined barrels are for fighting guns, not group shooters.

I have seen some that will shoot tiny groups but more often than not the chrome hurts accuracy more than helps it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be so hard on those chromed barrels. If done properly they can be very accurate. I bet most of you didn't know that all the Winchester and Browning rifles make in the 223 WSSM caliber had chromed bores. Winchester came out and admitted it. I'd bet that some of those rifles shot some mighty small groups.

I have a pre ban COLT HBAR that shoots some mighty small groups for what it is, albeit it's not a 16 inch carbine, but it doesn't have a free float forearm, nor a match trigger, but the bore is chromed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to get to an inch, I would suggest a free floating handguard, and changing to a MagPul PRS butt stock.

In general, chrome lined barrels last longer, especially under sustained fire, but do not have the accuracy.

Take a look at the Stag Arms barrels, maybe consider switching to a 3G complete upper.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering, does your Bushmaster have the stock trigger?

I have a 16" Bushmaster and the stock trigger had an 7 1/2 lb pull with lots of grit and grind. Dropped a Timny AR 3lb in and it is a vast improvement.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the military stock is pointy and can hang up on a bag,. I was taught by a freind that steering with the pistol grip is prone to bad groups. and common with shooters. No pressure on it except to squeeze your hand.. you may need a scope with adjustable paralex for best results. I just put about 4-6 pounds on my shoulder with my left hand and squeeze my fist or first finger and thumb.. Id say ammo is you biggest problem.. case weights, need to be the same and the correct powder type and amount for that barrel..

a very big job for me with my new shielen 20 inch heavy barrel.. It will shoot 1 /4 inch some days and then give me fits but its only been on about 2 weeks and im working on it.. (:<Wink dave

Ive got a post in the reloading section about dropping velocity if anyone is familiar with that problem... thanks..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I think you should try some different ammunition, and think that for 5 shot groups 1 MOA is very possible, and reasonable to expect. With tuned handloads groups approaching 3/4 MOA in a chrome lined barrel are not unheard of.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote