THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Jewell trigger replacement: Geiselle? Timney?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jewell trigger replacement: Geiselle? Timney?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I am having trouble keeping my Jewell in tune. Reliability has caused me two missed opportunities while hunting/calling coyotes. Very frustrating.

My trigger was installed professionally by John Noveske, of Noveske Rifleworks, in 2005. I talked to him this morning and he said they stopped selling/installing them two years ago after he was experiencing the same issues.

Soooo...

What will it be?

A Geiselle? A Timney?

I don't particularly like the price fixing strategy of the Geiselle company.

The Timney looks like a pretty nice setup. Has anyone used one yet?

http://www.timneytriggers.com/...catalog/AR-14-1.html

First hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. This is the rig it is going in:

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Everything you always wanted to know about AR triggers, but were afraid to ask

http://www.ar15.com/forums/top...ml?b=3&f=12&t=366464

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney, or a Timney..

The picture of the Timney is a 4 pound AR10 non skeletonized trigger.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Jewell trigger for several years on a 15 match rifle(spacegun) and it worked fine, but sold it to a friend who has been shooting it for some 7-8 years now. I ended up with much tuned std. "issue" trigger and carefully honed, polished, etc. various contact points and it has concistantly broke at a very crisp 4.5 lbs(miniumum level for Service Match.) Have another trigger group which breaks at crisp 2lbs with the same treatment. Do a little research as mentioned and a lot can be done by the shooter to much improve the issue trigger and yet not go full or have failure to fire. I do understand that the Griesiel(spelling??) is about as good as it gets these days and for a long time they were difficult to come by because the military had first choice on them for their shooting teams. Think today they are available though, but a bit on the pricey side. I tend to spend more money on bullets and powder and get to shoot more than buying the latest and greatest product on the market.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my last 2 were both 3 1/2# timneys. both work well with no trouble. word of caution of really light ar triggers. much of the weight comes from the hamnmer spring. if you go to light it won't be reliable with many military rounds. THat's why i stick to the 3 1/2# i found 3# gave ignition problems

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
my last 2 were both 3 1/2# timneys. both work well with no trouble. word of caution of really light ar triggers. much of the weight comes from the hamnmer spring. if you go to light it won't be reliable with many military rounds. THat's why i stick to the 3 1/2# i found 3# gave ignition problems

+1

I built a trigger for a bench lower using the JP yellow light springs, a little polishing and chopping off the hammer spur. It's a very light trigger for sure.
It will fire all my handloads and all .223 factory ammo, but it won't fire XM193 or Q3131 and I imagine it won't fire any milspec ammo with the hardened primers.

For my other two lowers, I lightly polish the engagement surface on the trigger. I get a nice smooth trigger with great reset, that touches off every manner of .223/5.56 ammo

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
P.S. This is the rig it is going in:

Love the FAL charging handle. What flavor of AR-15 is that?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently installed a McCormick in a .450 Bushmaster. While I wouldn't call it wonderful, it is about as good as the rest of the "best" 15 triggers (and so much better than the POS factory trigger that is is not even on the same planet) I've tried or have. Easy part is, it is a do-it-urself drop in, all you have to know is how to take the safety out, which is a 10 second procedure once you know to put it half way between fire and safe. Without checking again, after I'd purchased it elsewhere, I seem to recall Cheaper than Dirt had it about $15 cheaper. I'd buy another one, whether it is "the best" or not, I can't say.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hey fellas-

Thanks for all the comments and replies. After reading the link above on AR15.com and your input here, I think I will contact Noveske and see if he will trade it out for his suggested Geiselle trigger. If that doesn't work out, then I will have to decide between a Chip McCormick and a Timney. The latter seems to be getting pretty damn good reviews given the short period of time it's been around.

Tex21-
To answer your question(s), have a look at this old thread from May 2005 when I completed her. The links to the pics have since expired, but I think you'll get the idea. I think the specs are all pretty much up to date except that she wears either a 3-9X50mm or a 6.5-20X50mm Zeiss Conquest depending on what kind of vermin I'm going after.

(EDIT: FORGOT THE LINK)
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=555108262#555108262

Thanks again to everyone. I'll keep you posted on what I decide and how it turns out.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have a Timney #3lb in one of my AR's It's my favorite so far.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote