New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 6.8 spc upper?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who makes the best complete 6.8 spc upper?

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat makes a nice one. Not sure who is "best" but you could take a poll over at 68Forums.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a 1/11 or slower twist and a SPC II chamber.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I have a Stag that I'm very happy with. Plan on deer hunting with it this fall.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of sneedb82
posted Hide Post
The best upper is what shoots to your expectations.

I've built two thus far for my own use, and helped build another one that a friend still shoots to this day.

So far, the two that I built, using two different manufacturer's barrels, both shot sub .50MOA at 100 yards. That has a lot to do with the triggers, and the break-in, and loads developed.

I do not reload, at this point in time in my life, but the factory loads that have been developed by SSA are top notch, and will shoot lights out.

The two uppers I built were as follows:

16" White Oak Armament (Shilen Blank) with 1/11 twist, 4 groove, SPCII chamber. Great little barrel.

18" Wilson Combat 6.8x43 barrel (Shilen Blank) with 1/11 twist, 4 groove, SPCII Chamber. Fluted.

The other was built off of a Bison Armory Barrel, 16", which is an ER Shaw Blank. 1/11 Twist, 4 groove. SPCII Chamber.

The key here obviously is the SPCII Chamber. 4 or 5 groove is good, ARPerformance has some that are 1/11.25" with 5grooves, and many users are touting a sub MOA accuracy as well with factory ammo. Sam308 suggested Stag, and they are top notch as well. I think your best bet is to do a little research as to what you want to do with it. 1/12 and 1/11 will operate at higher tolerances of pressure safer than the 1/10 twists. This has been proven with the fellas who own and reload the 6.8x43 on the 68forums. YMMV... good luck, and keep us updated!

Brandon Sneed
South Texas Arms, President

NRA Endowed Life Member
GOA Life Member

Posts: 4 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noveske makes nice rifles and uppers. Also check Barrett rifles for uppers in several calibers.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR performance or bison /thread

You get all the specs and performance at very reasonable prices look no further.

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat. Nothing leaves their shop without EXTREME inspection, fitting, and attention to detail. High price, but high quality.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be to build your own upper using a WOA, ARP, or Noveske barrel.

You want an SPC II chamber, twist of 1:11 or slower, and 3R, 4R or 6R rifling. The WOA 6 groove barrel is also extremely consistent in internal diameter and mine seems to be as good as either my Wilson or ARP.

These will give you the highest velocities at the lowest pressures.

AR Performance has a great reputation for complete uppers.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricky_arthur:
AR performance or bison /thread

You get all the specs and performance at very reasonable prices look no further.

+1 Absolutely the bomb!