Find
Notify
Tools

Need sights for AR 10
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I just entered the AR world and have a new AR 10 to play with. I want to put a scope on it that I can shoot hogs with at night.

But...I would also like to put a holographic sight on it for quick acquisition snap shooting.

And...of course...a light.

What do y'all recommend?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd recommend you try some CQB shooting with it before making the investment in a HOLO sight. It will depend on what model you have but they tend to get pretty heavy quick.

If you don't mind spending the dough, an ACOG with BAC can give you best of both worlds. I have a 4x and once you get use to it it's the cats meow. There are many different models and configurations.

If you are thinking of throwing on some low profile iron sights, make sure tog et AR-10 specific set. AR-15 detach front sights will not work correctly on the AR-10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which model of AR10?

I am partial to Aimpoints. They work well.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, a timely post. I've have suddenly developed an itch for an AR-10 in the past few days. I don't have much interest in a 223 except maybe for woodchucks, but a 308 is something different.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We (family members) hunted with the new AR-10 338 fed this past season. Killed a few caribou and 3 moose with this Armalite. One of the moose was shot at a little over 400 yards, the 210 Nos Part dropped a little less than a foot.

I have a 3.5 X 35 red dot / horseshoe on the AR-10 and I have a 4 X 32 red dot / horseshoe on the 6.8 spc. I am more satisfied with these acogs than all the Leupolds I have owned for many years.

I can see the faint glow after dark and awful bright in daylight. They are listed at $1432, Cabelas sells them for $1300, I get them from my local gun shop for $1040. They can't be beat for most hunting I do, under 500 yards.

The only picts I have of these scopes.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh

Your post is a perfect example of the "New Generation" of hunting rifles.

The AR type rifles, especially the "308" size recievers, are rapidly becomming more and more wide spread.

Yes they were first, and are currently "Military" rifles, so were most all other rifles.

Well done.

PS, the two caribou I killed in Alaska I shot with a Double rifle in 450/400.

Point being, I do not see a reason for some to bad mouth some type of hunting rifles over others.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS I really like that caribou in velvet.
One of the ones I shot was in velvet, and I had it mounted in velvet. It is over my right shoulder as I type this.

It is one of my favorite trophies.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote