THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Thinking of Converting my Mini 14 to 6.8 spc...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Converting my Mini 14 to 6.8 spc...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
and having it accurized by accuracy systems...any thoughts...what say ye...

what bbl length would you recommned?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I advise against it. The military is going to rebarrel all our M-16s and M-4s for that cartridge. If you think .223 is hard to get now, try getting 6.8SPC when the changeover comes down the pike. Also, that round is purely of military heritage. The gungrabbers have plans to outlaw the possession and use of any cartridge that is or was ever used by the military-- ours or anybody else's, for that matter. Gone will be .30-06, 9mm, .308Win, .45ACP, 303 British-- you name the round, the grabbers want to outlaw it for civilian use..

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I really kinda doubt that will happen...you have any other reasons not to do it?

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well...I really kinda doubt that will happen...you have any other reasons not to do it?

Nope. Just that I think the ammo will be expensive. And what about bullet selection for reloading, assuming we are still allowed to do that?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

They may not realize, that you being in Calif, your choices of semiauto rifles is severely limited.

I would not convert your 223 Mini-14.

If you want a 6.8 Ruger, just buy one from the factory. If it does not perform to your satisfaction, then get IT customized.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Tony,

My mini 14 in 223 shoots "improved cylinder" at 100 yds so that is why I was head in that direction...the gun is basically useless to me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They may not realize, that you being in Calif, your choices of semiauto rifles is severely limited.

I just learned today that Kalifonians can have AR-15s-- if the magazine is welded into the well. What the hell fun is that? Ten rounds and it's ten minutes to reload...

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
not exactly...but I don't want to explain the work around in public...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

You could have your 223 Mini-14 "accurized".

Check with Clark in LA. I just think that everybody should have a 223 for ammo avialibility.

If you "need" more than a 223, then step up to a M1-A. thumb

But keep the 223. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
is tha Los Angeles or Louisana?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Sorry I should have been more clear.

It is in the state La. not in the city LA.

Look for Clark Custom Guns. They do good work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, have you been to perfectunion.com? I think that is what it's called. I just had my trigger done by one of the guys who posts there. Night and day. Now I am going to get one of those homemade "barrel tuners" for want of a better term. It seems the problems are with the trigger and barrel. Don't give up yet.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The only bad thing I've ever heard about Accuracy Systems was the price.

I'm not real big on the 6.8 but if I was going build one it would be on an 18" medium weight barrel.

Best of luck to you.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I sent my Mini-14 to accuracy systems and had it rebarreled to a 1" bull barrel .204 Ruger. They offer a MOA guarantee with factory ammmo.

What more can a man want from a Mini-14?

Everyone advised me against it.

"You can't polish a terd."

"If you want a good semi auto, buy an AR and use the mini for shooting can's in the yard." etc.

Why, oh why didn't I listen ....

So, I get the gun back. I go through the break in period following their directions to a "T".

After 100 rounds, I tinker with about half a dozen factory loads. My results were dismal.

Check the bolts, all tight. Lube the action, clean ... everything.

I call Accuracy Systems. "I bought the customization for my mini-14 and I can't get it to shoot"

Of course, they ask if I know how to shoot ... fair question.

I explain that I am currently getting a 1" group with a .470 NE with Iron sights at 25 yds and my .375 H&H will shoot a 1" group all day long and well into the night witha 4x scope.

Ok, so we have established that I can shoot other guns to 1".

"Send us the gun, we will check it."

They call. "No problem with the gun or your scope, "we got 1" with 40 grain Hornady ammo (which I sent to them)."

Ok, so I try it again. 3" 4" every now and then 2"

Always seems to be one round that is off.

Call back.

"I am sorry, I can't get this to shoot straight. What is the secret. How did you get 1" groups?"

They ask me what I am doing. I tell them. "I load it and I shoot. I give 5 to 10 minutes between shots."

Then they inform me that I am doing it wrong.

Ready for this?

He said "The first shot in your group doesn't count."

bewildered

"What? You sent me a target with 3 groups all in 1" circle."

"Yes, we fire the first shot off the paper because that shot doesn't count."

Silence.

I am completely dumfounded. I hang up the phone. I don't have time to fight with him about this now.

At this time, I was preparing to go to Tanzania. I had a lot of other things to worry about. Loading for a .470 NE, packing, etc.

I will fight with these morons when I get home. It will still be under warranty, maybe I will just return it.

Well, middle of the hunt I am medivaced out of Tanzania and put in a hospital in Nairobi. When I get home, I spent two months getting back on my feet. Fighting with someone about accuracy was not at the top of my list.

So, the 1 year warranty lapses and I do nothing about it.

In all fairness to Accuracy Systems, I never contacted them and told them how disappointed I was in their work, or "accuracy".

Had I done that even after the 1 year warranty expired, maybe they would have given me my money back. I never asked them. For all they know, their goofy warranty is alright with me.

If I am going to share my bad experience with them, at least know that I never gave them an opportunity to make it right. Maybe they would have gone above and beyond and refunded my money, or switched it back, or bought it from me or something.

Now, would I choose them to "accurize" another Mini-14?

Ummmm, probably not.

BTW, I have a Mini-14 for sale in the classifides. It shoots 1" groups .... just don't forget to shoot the first shot off the paper (or off the Coyote, Turkey, Groundhog, Crow, Pig, Bobcat, or whatever you want to shoot.)

For some reason ... it has not sold? Confused homer

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Thnaks for the input...I decided to keep it a 223...and I sent it off to a different guy who I trust and well see how it goes...

I sent him one of those shilen brownells barrels

Mike

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike, I can't help it, but ....

quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
"You can't polish a terd."

hilbily

Ok, I know you live in a foreign country and your choice of semi autos is very limited.

I would probably do the same if I lived in Kalifornya.

Sure you don't want to buy a mini-14 that shoots pretty straight most of the time? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
No but I want to go sit on look out watch the sunset and shoot a monster pig...I will bring the Johnny Walker Blue

Mike

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
No but I want to go sit on look out watch the sunset and shoot a monster pig...I will bring the Johnny Walker Blue

Apparently there was just one, and I kilt him! hilbily

SBT actually sat on the same hill and shot some piggie that looked like a Bushpig.

Meanwhile, 30ott6 was busy shooting the biggest pig (to date) that came off that place. He had beautiful tusks.

But mine wins. Sorry 30ott6!

But, now, my successful pig jihad has eliminated the piggie. It was fun while it lasted.