Find
Notify
Tools

SKS scope rig recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lads,

New to this section of the forums. Sorry... I suspect this topic has been discussed to death, but I probably missed it.

Situation: I have a Norinco SKS carbine w/a male dovetail on the left side of the receiver which appears to be a scope mount. Where can I get that mount??? I probably have a scope I could use in that mount.

Alternative: a good (if they exist) replacement scope mount for the rear of the receiver cover. I have not heard particularly good things about this type of setup. A scope recommendation for this particular configuration would also be appreciated.

Again, sorry if I'm plowing old ground, but I really could use some good advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Take a look at web sights like Cheaer than Dirt, CDDN, etc. They might have the mount in stock.

Also look through Shotgun News.

I have an old one around here I will see if I can find one in it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lad,

Thanks! I've seen the ones in Cheaper, but have also heard there is significant difference in quality regarding the mounts that replace the rear cover. I was hoping to find (so far w/out luck) the mount that slides into the male dovetail on the left side of the receiver - they appear to be rare.

Shooting surplus ammo w/irons on this gun gives me hope it may be quite accurate. So I'd like to get a solid and dependable mount for the piece.

If there is a dependable cover-replacement style, then that would be fine.

Thanks again,

Mike

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I did not see one in my old Shotgun News, sorry.

I had an SKS once. It had the red plastic stock.

It was plenty accurate esecially with Hansen Soft Points, which was the only avialable hunting ammo at the time.

It would shoot 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 with the iron sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, this is the mount I would recommend over those receiver cover type mounts.

SKS Scout Mount for SKS

Advantages:
It's a rock-solid mount.
It allows you to completely disassembe to gun for cleaning and optics will return to zero.
It allows use of the SKS strippers for loading.
Funtions as a trditional rear sight (photo below)

Disadvantages:
You must remove the rear iron sight because this mount uses the rear sight base for attachment.
Requires the use of an extended eye relief scope or red dot/reflex type optics (only a problem if you have a scope already that has standard eye relief).

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do an internet search for "Tantel" I think that was where I saw the side mounts.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Side mounts anyone? WHY? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
DaMan

A side mount is the best way to mount a conventional scope and maintain zero, on a SKS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E,

Well said and true. The side mount is attached directly to the frame, not the rear dust cover. Now... I wish I had one. rotflmo

I'll continue to look.

Thanks,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike does it look to be the same side mount that is on some AK's and Drugunov's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael A. Glass:
N E,

Well said and true. The side mount is attached directly to the frame, not the rear dust cover. Now... I wish I had one. rotflmo

I'll continue to look.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, sorry I didn't read your first post CAREFULLY. I missed the part about the "dovetail".

Sounds like you have one of the SKSs imported by Navy Arms.

These Norinco SKSs were sold with the scope and side mount that fit the dovetail on the receiver. I don't think Norinco ever sold the mount seperately. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket mounts that will fit your receiver dovetails as they were strictly a Norinco thing.

Good luck in your search!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Yes, it is a Norinco - actually, the short-barrel carbine model. It's in exceptionally nice shape.

I checked the sight you recommended, and the $60 or so isn't bad for a good mount. I just wonder how difficult it would be to mount it (kind of a klutz here).

I've got several red dots, and also noted that the mount acts as a rear sight. Fortunately, the front sight is fully adjustable (have a tool for that). Might take some tweaking, but hey, it's still trigger time.

I actually like that little cartridge, used a handload last fall to take a nice doe. Just looking for a fun gun to prowl the woods out at camp.

Thanks all. Other recommendations still appreciated.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DaMan,

Yes, it is a Norinco - actually, the short-barrel carbine model. It's in exceptionally nice shape.

I checked the sight you recommended, and the $60 or so isn't bad for a good mount. I just wonder how difficult it would be to mount it (kind of a klutz here).

I've got several red dots, and also noted that the mount acts as a rear sight. Fortunately, the front sight is fully adjustable (have a tool for that). Might take some tweaking, but hey, it's still trigger time.

I actually like that little cartridge, used a handload last fall to take a nice doe. Just looking for a fun gun to prowl the woods out at camp.

Thanks all. Other recommendations still appreciated.

Mike

Mike, if I recall correctly, the 16.5" bbl. model you have was called the "Cowboy's Companion". With the original side mount and scope, they bring a pretty good chunk of change (for an SKS).

Is it this rail?........

Or this rail? ....

I bet it's the latter. Wink

Mike, you can't do any permanent or expensive damage if you screw up installing the sight I recommended above. No drilling. Everything can be reversed to original configuration, just in case you ever run accross one of the original side mounts. Wink

If you've got some

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Yes, the bottom photo represents my rifle.

"Cowboy Carbine"???? What do you suppose the original Chinese phrase was prior to translation?? Confused I can't quite mentally conjure up the sight of "TEX" drawing down on a rustler w/that rig Wink

I think I'll order an EER mount and let folks know how it works. If I could ever get photo's to work, I'd try to post a few.

Thanks again!!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Should have asked this early on. Are all SKS rear sights the same??? I suspect if they had changed dimensions at some point, that might effect the way the mount fits.

Do you, or any others, have any comments on that?? Would not like to shell out $$ only to find it wouldn't fit.

Thanks,

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are all SKS rear sights the same??? I suspect if they had changed dimensions at some point, that might effect the way the mount fits.

Mike, I don't know. I would think that these mounts would fit all SKSs...... but I don't know for sure.

What I would do is call them up and talk to one of their techs or someone that is knowledgeable about the mount before you place your order.

I'm sure you could return it if it doesn't fit.... but that's a PITA.

Mike, you don't think they have "cowboys" in the PRC?!!! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin OK!!! OK!!!

Ghengis Kahn w/an AK on one of those little ponies lol Roundin' up "dogies". Wearing a Pancho Villa sombrero!! shocker

Sorry, the picture... Big Grin Big Grin is just too... hilbily

OH GOD!! What a hoot jumping

Too much!!!

Oops... wet spot.

Gotta go,

Mike

P.S.
Ordered a mount

And a bandoleer of shells on each shoulder jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain Patrol

Tibet is under PRC control. But there are "cowboys" in the area! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

I fully support those Tibetan cowboys who are fighting to recover their land and their freedoms. I would be honored to buy oats for their horses.

They must have been cut from the same mold that produced our own independent, self-reliant and adventurous men of the west.

Believe me, I wish no dishonor toward them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Thanks for the tip on the scope mounts.

The scout scope mount came and I mounted it w/very little trouble (hardest part was finding the "small block of wood" needed to drift out the old sight). Heading out to camp this weekend to try the iron function and have an old red-dot to play with.

Another poster has offered to sell me one of his scopes and when it comes, I'll mount it and fire a few shots. THANKS RICH!! looking forward to getting it.

While the SKS will likely only be used for casual shooting and close in varmints (coyotes, skunks, porkys and obnoxious tourists) I still like to wring out as much accuracy as I can.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Mike