Tools

New toy.....Century Golani/Galil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OH thats evil - jugears is not going to come to your house for dinner CRYBABY

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Those rifles just look "kewl!" as my sons would have said in thier teen years.
Let us know how it shoots. thumb

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

That's a sharp lookin' unit. Nice sold folding stock on there too. Can you get a wood forend for that?

How does it shoot?

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are pretty cool rifles. About the only thing available anymore at a half-way decent price.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Yeah, those are pretty cool rifles. About the only thing available anymore at a half-way decent price.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that rifle a Bulgarian copy of a Galil? The local hardware store had 'em here a few months back, but as I would have had to buy several dozen mags for it feed my fetish, I had to eschew the purchase...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
quote:
When small men began to cast long shadows, it's a sure sign the sun is setting.

Big words from a small minded man.

The Galil clones have U.S. made receivers using original Israeli parts.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I loved my R5.

The South African short barrel version of the Galil.

It really did well during IPSC 3 gun shoots. I won a lot of the rifle events in the Standard gun division my times and scores were up there with the top open gun boys.

During my military training and during the time I competed in IPSC the R4 and R5 could always be depended on.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
New toy.....Century Golani/Galil

It does look toyish.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used an ARM with a scout mounted scope and a muzzle brake for IPSC 3 gun matches. In the US we can't go with barrels shorter than 16" in competition (or without a registered transfer of a short barreled rifle).

Believe me ... the Galil is anything but a toy. An extremely reliable weapon that is accurate enough!

I have often wondered why Israel became users of the M16. Must be some problem that is not widely known. The Galil is much more reliable than the M16.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I used my R4 for Combat Service Rifle Competitions and its accurate out to 300 meters.

Some scores at 300 meters were regularly 40 out of 50 per rapid or snap fire in the prone position.

On the 200 meter 45 and 46 out of 50 in the sitting position was not strange as well.

One of my best scores during a National Championships was 47 out of 50 and I got the 5th position....

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have often wondered why Israel became users of the M16. Must be some problem that is not widely known. The Galil is much more reliable than the M16.

I have noticed this too, maybe they did so because of the AR's size and weight compared to the Galil, as many of our combat units have issued the M4 carbine in replacement of the past M16A2. Unfortunately, some guys hang so many accessory tools on them, they approach the M14 in weight anyway.

I wonder how the Tavor rifle is working out.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how the Tavor rifle is working out.

I've lusted over these for some time, especially since I shot rifles lefty.

Heard no reports, however. They are legal in my state semi-automatic.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have friends in IDF. The reason they went to the AR platform is the lighter weight and the fact that the US helps out making it much cheaper than the locally produced Galil.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M16s are eligible for US Aid money which must be spent in the US. They are also more accurate and easier to shoot. I found the Galil I shot to be workable but utterly unimpressive.

The US has more combat experience in the last ten years than Israel has period and the M4 is perfectly adequate.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote