THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Springfield SAR8 overstamp, or HK91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield SAR8 overstamp, or HK91
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A Springfield SAR8 followed me home last week. It is a 1985 production rifle as far as I can tell. Greek made by EBO. Overstamp 8 over 3, non-crushed flash hider, steel receiver. All correct, great shape and I got it for a very good price.

This is my first of the HK G3 pattern rifle. What do I need to know about care and feeding?

Won't be able to get out with it for a few weeks due to work, but looking forward to it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are usually very accurate; having no moving parts like gas pistons. They handle a variety of ammo, being fired from basically a blow back action; roller delayed; not really locked.
They bend and mutilate the brass, having a fluted chamber and very "positive" ejection; if you don't have the buffer your brass gets bent and thrown 40 feet away; in a wide pattern. But you can still reload them.
Scope mounts on the sheet metal receiver.
The cocking handle is awkward and hard to use. But you only need it once.
Trigger pulls are usually heavy; the spec called for a 12 foot drop test.
Care? They are made to function with no care, and gas fouling gets everywhere in the action. But the new gas seems to blow the old fouling out. I clean mine occasionally.
Fun rifles though.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info.

One thing I noted is no last round bolt hold open. That said, the bolt is huge and heavy. It would probably shear any hold open device anyway.

I did check the trigger. 6 pounds with a decent break.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; hold open devices were not part of the design criteria. Load three tracers in the magazine, first, and when you see a tracer coming out the muzzle, change magazines then. Then you will never have to retract the bolt to load it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Greek SAR 8 and really liked it other than it trashed brass. I got rid of it, my HK91 and HK93 for the same reasons. My brass is too valuable to me.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes the brass will look bad, but it is still reloadable. It will look like hell with all the dents and grooves, but will still work.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
They are usually very accurate; having no moving parts like gas pistons. They handle a variety of ammo, being fired from basically a blow back action; roller delayed; not really locked.
They bend and mutilate the brass, having a fluted chamber and very "positive" ejection; if you don't have the buffer your brass gets bent and thrown 40 feet away; in a wide pattern. But you can still reload them.
Scope mounts on the sheet metal receiver.
The cocking handle is awkward and hard to use. But you only need it once.
Trigger pulls are usually heavy; the spec called for a 12 foot drop test.
Care? They are made to function with no care, and gas fouling gets everywhere in the action. But the new gas seems to blow the old fouling out. I clean mine occasionally.
Fun rifles though.

Sounds like a CETME, only uglier.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
CETME is the same rifle; remember how the design came about; German engineers in Spain developed it and Spain was the first to adopt it; then after WW2, West Germany needed rifles; they bought, then made, FN-FALS. Later, they adopted the CETME, as the G3 series. The FN was the G1.
CETME uses a different magazine, that's about the only difference. G3 mags work in CETMEs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD summed it all up nicely. I've owned a couple and they were very accurate. I did reload the brass and they worked fine. I had quite a few rounds of the German white practice rounds good out to 100 yards. The buffer is essential if you are going to reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered an ejection port buffer, and couple hundred rounds of PPU surplus ammo. Reloading wise, I have plenty of .308 brass for my other rifle. So, I don't particularly care if these are in great shape, or not. Would rather not have the brass flying into the next guys shooting area, though.

Should be a fun rifle from what I've seen and read.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Next guys shooting area? No, they throw brass into the fourth guy's away, shooting area. And in a wide arc, By design. So the enemy can't tell where, or how many, Infantrymen were in the positions. In case they happen to occupy them later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having processed 2 H@K 91s carried one as a patrol rifle. I reloaded for them shot some tactical rifle competitions.

They are what they are a heavy 308 battle rifle . There are very good reasons that most militaries are using 7.62x39 and 5.56 base rifles now days.

I also carried an M1 Grand the sheriff at was an WWII vet.

I quickly went to 5.56 based riles for work I used two Mini-14s one a standard one a ranch rifle a Colt SP-1, a M16 A1 the last was a AR15 in M4 style.

All of them were better suited patrol work then the HK or the M1.

Have fun with it but those HKs are on the very short list of firearms I don't regret getting rid of

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes they are, what they are, but for a country that needed (back in the 7.62 days), a cheap, reliable rifle, that was it. Was it outdated before it was fielded? That might be said for any 7.62mm Infantry rifle; a topic for another discussion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it for fun, and to continue on my collection of battle rifles through history.

Maybe take it to a hog hunt or shoot a deer with it for the hell of it.

Jeremy