New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem Model 30 Express
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks, I found one of these this weekend in 3006. Looks to be about 80%. Bore is dark but no pits that I can see. Action is good, smooth and no pits. I think I can get it for $300. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, poverty stricken lad that I am, I'd hesitate at spending $300, but that's chickenfeed to you, Bob, so go ahead! [Wink] Seriously, I think that is fair for a nice old Model 30. I doubt that they'll be making any more of them.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek, I called him and he put it back for me. I'll pick it up when I go to the metroplex Friday to pick up the 6.5 PPC (finally).

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Bob-

Caliber makes a real difference.. The scarce 7x57, 300 H&H, 30 and 35 Remingtons are VERY nice and pretty expensive to buy. By far the most you see are 30-06 and 257 Roberts.....and they're WELL worth $300.

I'd grab it unless somebody has committed a sex crime on it with a dremel tool, obital sander, or drill bit or something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack, That's sorta what I thought and I have it reserved. I'll pick it up next Friday. Sure glad you're back. When are you up for new business? The 6mm PPC rebbling you did for my son is excellent and I have projects in the works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went back and looked at it again today. Ran a patch through the bore and it is bright. Only had dust. It's in better condition than I thought, probably 90% overall. Probably 95% blue and two minor dings on the stock. It has a K4 Weaver on it, I think K4 60E? I'll check it some more tommorrow because I bought it. What I didn't know was that it cocks on opening, not like a military Enfield. I could get into these rifles. What do 300 H&Hs in this model go far? I've got to get another contract so I can continue this addiction.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Later M-30s cock on opening. Not all have guide ribs either, only the last ones. Some had Lyman 48 receiver sights but none were factory drilled for scope mounts. The actions can be used for the jumbo rounds. IMO, original, unaltered rifles in good shape should be kept that way. Use a Remington 1917 action if you must. Here's an original M-30 carbine next to a Brevex:

-

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FL3006, Obviously this one is not in original condition since it has been tapped for a scope mount. It also has two holes with filler screws on the left side of the receiver like maybe for a side mount. I'll spend some time today with my reference books and see what I can learn. To me it's one of those rifles that is a pleasure to handle, like it has character.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
They're beautiful rifles, overlooked by many shooters, partly because there aren't that many of them. Frank De Haas' book "Bolt Action Rifles" has a lot of info on them. Congratulations!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FL3006. I've been fondling all day and reading some stuff about it in the Blue Book. I'll see if I can find "Bolt Action Rifles"