THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newton rifles Who is the expert on the early ones?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I just bought one with the serial #395 and cant wait to get it in my hands dancing

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bisonland or Whitebison are you guys still around?

Seems like the 2 of you had alot of knowalage on these gems.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Obuhanych of Cody, Wyoming is quite knowledgeable and a serious collector of Newton rifles. Drop me a PM is you would seriously like his input and I will invite him to participate on this thread.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Try to locate a book by the late Bruce Jennings of Sheridan Wyoming. I think it was called " Newton, Father of High Velocity" or something like that. I spoke with him a couple times when I lived there and used to have one of the books.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawrence Wales wrote this book on Newton Rifles:

http://www.amazon.com/History-...1231384&sr=8-2-fkmr2

-his email address is:

lswales at hughes dot net

he sends around Newton-related emails periodically, too. I think he'd appreciate your questions about you're rifle, discussing its history, etc.

-also, I bought a copy of his book directly from him.

http://www.newtonrifles.com/NewtonPictures2.htm

disassembly-

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu86_3.htm

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the contacts.

When I get it in my hands Ill get more serious.

Cal30

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Geoff you have a PM

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30,

Have you seen a copy of Newton's Book?
the front cover is:

Newton Arms Co.
Incorporated
Chas Newton Pres
506 Mutual Life Building
Buffalo NY

(the drawing of a moose head)
Manufacturers and Dealers
Modern High Power Rifles
And Ammunition

(fourteenth edition)

The back cover says:

Reprinted 1982
SMB
Box 974
Libby, MT 59923

Exploded view drawings, lots of history of the company. Very nice paperback, about 150 pages. He even shows trajectory charts.
Really neat little book, 5 1/2 X 8 1/2".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Rich

I have not seen much at all on the Newtons.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neat thing about the book: it has a couple pages titled : "Dope for the new Springfield Cartridge, Model 1906".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30: go to Doublegunshop the Classic Rifle question & answer section. Michael Petrov one of the members there may be able to help you. John303.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I had one I picked up a couple years ago... Had no idea what it was when i looked at it, but could tell it was a quality piece. I bought it as a part of a whole "attic" collection, and paid about $18.00 each for about a dozen long guns.

For a rifle made in 1917, this thing was a real piece of art and craftsmanship. Six locking lugs forward and two more on the rear of the bolt. Controlled feed, claw extractor, double set triggers, folding express sights, and presentation wood. Wood to metal fit is flawless.

I may have posted pic's here, check my old posts from 2003.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Frank

18 dollars? why cant I find a deal like that???

I have 1300 in mine and it was a good deal because it is in good shape and has the bolt peep on it which I guess was a rare option on them.

Cal30

One of Us
Picture of Lakelander
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting a Newton rifle.

What caliber is it and do you have pictures?

Both the Bruce Jennings book and the Larry Wales book can be recommended, both have lots of useful info. The Jennings book being the better in my view, he was a very dedicated man.

Here's a couple for sale:

http://search.barnesandnoble.c...listing&wid=31255563

100 USD is a bargain for this book.

Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posts: 182 | Location: Nord-Trøndelag-Norway | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Lakelander

I proudly own a first generation .256 but some where along the line it was rebored to a .3006.

A most noble choice in my opinion I have been informed this was quite common for this practice due to the priming used in the early days.

The wood is very nice with minimal dings and once the old poorly done finish was applied.

I have been looking for a while and I bought
This one because it has the factory bolt mounted peep on it Smiler.

It whas the original blue that is about 80%

The stock just need some delicate attention to make it all blend.

I stripped it with stripper because someone somehere finished it and filled in the checkering( I detest that ) I redid the finish with a hand rubbed poly finish and have been nurturing it nightly to blend the balance.

I dont have any way to post pics other than on a cell phone.

I am a happy man. The sedrial # is 395

Cal30

Cal30