Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Safari 375H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
When did Browning switch over to the short extractor action? Did Sako make any of these magnum length actions? Talking to an aquaintance today that has a 375 H&H with a short extractor action, and he thinks it was built between 1959 and '62.

Does that sound right?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
those brownings were all on FN actions which are better made and more desirable than the newer action which in my opinion has no collectability.no sako never supplied actions to browning as far as i know and beware some brownings of that vintage 59-63 were called salt stocks because of some drying method that was used on the wood ended up corroded the metal under the stock line so if you do buy one take it out of the stock first ........paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Paul,

There were indeed Brownings built with Sako actions of that era, to my knowledge they were all short action for calibers like 243, 308, etc.

At some point Browning went from a ~98 action-long extractor to a short extractor version. I'm trying to find out about what year.

Yup, salt wood was indeed a bad idea.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning chambered the .222 and .222 Magnum in the Sako L461 (round top version with white bolt handle) and switched the .243 and .308 from an FN Mauser over to the Sako L579 action (along with .22-250, which was then a wildcat and .284 Win) at some point. The full-length cartridges were never chambered in anything other than an FN Action. I don't know the date of the changeover from short to long extractor, but if you have the serial number, you can get the date of manufacture from the Browning website.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, I've checked the Browning website, and can only find info on newer rifles. I can't find any info on the date of manufacture of the older Browning FN Safari rifles. I've got two.

A link would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote