New
Find
Notify
Tools

1935 Model 12
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up an old Mode12. It looks like the forearm wood was replaced, the buttplate is missing. Does this have any collector value at all? I'd like to get rid of it but have no clue of what it is worth. Any help? Serial no, 68512x Thanks, Jeff

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a mid- 1930s Model 12 for $300. It was in good condition except for a replacement forend an OLD aftermarket rib and the barrel had been shortened to 24" (which I wanted anyway) Apparently they've slid down in price as the old guys die off and their children sell off their gun collections.

Newer shooters want the latest gas operated semi auto and not some early 1900's era pump gun.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with rick it takes a very nice model 12 12 ga to bring top dollar.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Rick R, this "old guy" is taking his 12's with him when he goes. I am 70 and been shooting a Mod.12 since I was 10yrs old to kill squirrels, grouse, quail, snakes, or whatever needed shot. As a side note, been told that the ventillated ribs on M12's were all made by Simmons for Winchester, but could not put their name on it for Winchester was fearful of Simmons going out of business. Simmons still going strong I hear.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Martin,
I'd hunted with my dad and grand dad's M12 shotguns over the years but my first personal repeater was a Super X Model 1. I've always wanted a nice M12 but never bought one for one reason or another.

The first time I loaded the mag tube on my "new" addition and hit the slide release it was like going home. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No collector value for yours. Original buttplates and reproductions are available but check LOP. If the plate is off, the stock may have been shortened (factory LOP was 14 1/4 inches).

A 12ga Pre-War shooter in 85% condition is a $300 gun to the right buyer. The problem with M12s is that so many are still around and the heavily used ones don't sell for much.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i've got my grandfather's 1928 16ga Mod. 12. what a sweetheart! she packs a punch, though! had my thumb in the wrong spot and almost broke my nose the first time i shot her! Big Grin the bluing is worn off the bottom of the receiver after years of carrying, but the wood is all original and doesn't have TOO many dings.

i've dragged it through some stuff and have killed 3 turkeys with it. pheasants seem to avoid me at all costs! rotflmo

gotta LOVE those Mod. 12s! my dad has a 12 & 16, and WANTS a 20 ga.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated above, unless there is some provenance (notable previous owner) associated with the gun it is worth in the $200 to $300 range as described. Assuming the barrel is original, it probably would be a fine hunter with a small amount of work.

It used to be common knowledge but for those who don't know, you can check wear on the bolt lockup on a M12 fairly easily. Just take the UNLOADEDgun with the action closed, turn it on its side and put a couple of finger through the loading gate and press up on the bottom of the bolt. Unless it is brand new there will likely be some movement. Some movement is to be expected, if it moves around like a couple on "Dancing with the Stars", then it is very worn. It takes a few comparisons to get the right "feel". This is fixable but is not cheap. Avoid a M12 with this problem all things being equal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I paid 225. for it and I guess that is all it is worth. Another throw in the backroom junker

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. You bought a fine gun made in 1935, the depths of the depression. I imagine many a meal was created by the use of that gun. It is a premium example of when American manufacturers made guns of steel and wood. It should easily be worth your $225 or more with an original barrel and a fixed butt, many people think the Model 12 was one of the best handling of all pump shotguns. They are still in use on trap ranges today.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW since you apparently bought it to sell, I'm going to give you some free financial advice which applies to nearly everything we do in the way of buying or trading.

The rule: THE FIRST LOSS IS THE BEST LOSS.

What that means is, if you make a mistake, make a bad deal, overpay for something, then it almost certainly won't appreciate in value over time. People hate to take losses, but, in fact, if they would sell their mistakes as soon as reasonably possible for whatever it is really worth, get what money you can out of it, and then keep the money handy until a good deal comes along, then shortly they would have the initial amount back and could go from there. Paid too much, sell it for what you can get and go on down the road, hopefully learning from the experience. Anyone who buys and sells much will make plenty of bad deals over time. It's how you get out of them that makes the difference.

There's always another deal, if you've got the ready (money) to take advantage of it.

xxxxxxxxxx