New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 serial numbers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone help me locate the serial numbers for model 70's by the year they were made?
I've got a SG with a 126XX and trying to determine exactly what year it was made.
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Madis book.

I think it is available at www.georgemadis.com

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Almost impossible to date all Winchester Mdl 70 rifles. The info simply is not available because it was not kept accurately by Winchester for more than a few periods of time. I've tried on more than one occasion and never been successful.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The serial # dates it to 1949. Also, there will be a date stamp on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the receiver.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SN 12XXX is a Pre-War M70 made in 1937. (126XXX would be 1949). Big difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a private message.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dagnabit, all those Xs ran together on me. You are correct. I read it as 126,xxx instead of 12,xxx.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vicvanb, pm returned. My supergrade has a thin white spacer in the forearm, grip and butt pad. Is any of that correct or do you think it was added? I know the pad was not original but the other two appear original. Any help appreciated!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Vicvanb, pm returned. My supergrade has a thin white spacer in the forearm, grip and butt pad. Is any of that correct or do you think it was added? I know the pad was not original but the other two appear original. Any help appreciated!

Factory original M70s did not have white spacers. It sounds like you have a re-stocked rifle. Maybe re-blued too?? A lot of Pre-war M70s were used heavily and later "restored." If so, they make good shooters but lose all collector value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go - skip down to Model 70 - http://proofhouse.com/win/index.html