THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German stalking rifle....what cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased an old single shot bolt action German stalking rifle. I has markings under the barrel that read 6.2mm and a mfg date that I believe to be July 1910. There is no caliber designation markings. I have ordered some cerrosafe to make a chamber cast in the meantime what are the likely candidates for that era......Thanks.....Hutt

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the 6x58R Forester???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 6mm .243 bullet will drop thru to the other end a .257 will not.......still don't know. Tried two lubed chamber casts and non would release. Had to heat back out. Will try wax next

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you look into the chamber and tell if it is for a rimmed or rimless cartridge, and if the chamber has a pronounced shoulder or just a long taper to the throat/rifling.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X52R(25-35 Winchester) ?

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimmed with long taper ?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron williams:
6.5X52R(25-35 Winchester) ?

That was a very popular cartridge in European hunting circles, especially for things like chamois and other of the smaller "big game".

I'd guess you're right.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a third cast and the results were measured and compared to the charts in the cartridges of the world...............turns out it is a 6.5X27Rmm
There was a gouge in the chamber keeping the cast from extracting. The bore is fair at best so The rifle is at a smith being relined and chambered to 25-20. It is a very close match to the original as far as ballistics are concerned. The rear barrel express sights should be closely regulated to the 25-20. A closer match dimentially to the original chambering was the .256 win magnum.