Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor passed away and widow is showing me a
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Lightly pitted but very solid Model 12 Winchester, with a plain barrel and a "Lord help us"... Poly-choke! 12 Gauge and clean internals. A nice hunter, but not a showy example.

Being as fair as possible, what should she hope to get for this shotgun?

Thanks in advance

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=196766 will give you an idea - you can adjust for differences in condition, etc. Also, if the gun has enough barrel to allow for cutting off the PolyChoke and installing tubes or for having the barrel re-choked, I would allow a bit more than if it was too short for that. Some folks actually like the PolyChokes but to me, they have always had all the appeal of a funnel stuck in the end of the barrel.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About $250 to $300 tops and maybe only $200 depending on what you mean by "lightly" pitted.

You can be very good condition models around here for about $400. They are fine shotguns but the number of people who appreciate or really know much about them is shrinking every day.

However, if the SASS "wild bunch" shoots catch on, they may grow in popularity and the gun you mention is perfect for the butchering they do to their guns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I found one last year at Gander Mtn in similar condition without the pitting for $350.
Considering Gander's pricing Roll Eyes I did a little research and found that it's the Polychoke that really kills the price.

Tis a shame so many M12's got the muzzle blob treatment.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad has one without the muzzleblob. It hasn't been fired since the mid-1960s...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote