New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr 1900
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Steyr 1900 in .303 calibre with standard express sights. My problem is that my eyesight is no longer up to open sights and I need to review my options as I intend to shoot for as long as possible.
As this is a clip loaded rifle, sighting a scope is a problem. Any one any suggestions?

Posts: 39 | Location: UK | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please sell your 1900 Steyr to me and buy yourself a modern rifle with the spool magazine.
Lyman once made an aperture sight that was integral to the bolt stop. They show up on Ebay sometimes for under $200 US. The arm of the sight is spring loaded so that it can pivot out of the way of the bolt handle. The aperture will permit you to shoot well with older eyes.
Otherwise you could have a scout type scope mounted ahead of the magazine. Of course you would probably be sent straight to hell for mounting such a thing on your Steyr.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ireload2. A rear aperture sight was fitted to the bolt stop by Parker Hale some 30 years ago. I know what you mean about spoiling the rifle, but it is not all original - the barrel was replaced in 1963 (it was worn out).
My problem is with the front sight, I could probably shoot it if I could fit a wider blade. Would you know where I could find a sight insert for it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ireload2, further to the above.
The rear aperture sight has been fitted onto the back of the bolt, it replaces the rear most portion. It was fitted by Parker Hale - they put a six hole disc on it. I have never seen one like it, maybe it was a one off?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you know what kind of sight is attached to the disc?

does it resemble any of the sights here-

http://preview.tcan1.photosite.com/Album1/

there was further gunsmithing done sometimes, a vee notch and male vee, maybe to the sear, to zero the sight each time the rifle was cocked.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tinman, the sight is similar, but more intricate. It is clearly stamped Parker Hale and I assumed that they adapted an existing sight. Like all original Parker Hale gear, it seems well engineered and fits like a glove. It resemples the PH16 with an elevation scale on the body and windage on a nubered side screw. Could photo it, but I do not know how to post them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making a habit of this - forgot to mention that it appears to be different from the photos in that it flips down when not in use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jerry,
What form of dovetail does your front sight have? Lateral dovetail or longitudinal?

New England Custom Guns manufactures a variety of sights and blades. Perhaps they could steer you toward a source of a replacement. If the front blade is not too complicated a new one can be made from scratch.
Is it possible to post photos of your sights both front and rear? If not perhaps you could email them for posting by one of us.

One of the guys on the gunsmithing forum or big bores might be able to give you a direct answer.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could photo it, but I do not know how to post them.

if you can get the photo on your computer, it's easy.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with the option to try New England Custom Guns, good folks, can be expensive. Parker Hale made some very cute very intricate rear sights, I have one on a #1 MK III* Enfield that's a jewel of a sight.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Otherwise you could have a scout type scope mounted ahead of the magazine. Of course you would probably be sent straight to hell for mounting such a thing on your Steyr

Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote