Tools

Colt Army Special 38 Information
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine has a Colt revolver and the barrel is marked
COLT ARMY 38
SPECIAL
The book shows them to have been chambered in 32-20,38 Colt,38 Smith&Wesson and 41 Colt. The serial number is in the 450000 range which is correct. Is this gun chambered for a 38 Special or something else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are effectively two cartridges the same: 38 Smith & Wesson Special and 38 Colt Special.

These were lengthened versions of the black powder cartridge that failed in the Phillipines I understand. Lengthened to be able to take more black powder.

38 Colt or Long Colt and 38 Smith & Wesson are, I think, two different cartridges. 38 Smith & Wesson using traditionally a 146 grain inside lubricated bullet. (The Colt equivalent being the 38 Colt New Police).

So 38 Colt or Long Colt is the cartridge that was replaced after its failure by the 38 Colt Special Identical to the 38 Smith & Wesson Special. So I think that a cut down 38 Special would fit in it as otherwise it is the same case.

However I may be totally wrong! What is for sure is that someone on the Military Firearms Forum part may know?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might have figured it out. A S&W 38 will not chamber in a 38 Special so will try it out on my friends gun this weekend. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be damn careful w/these chamberings! Bad things can happen!

I'm not sure if the above post is correct. I'd research alot before I shot anything like that!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I am checking; dont want to blow up a nice gun. I have seen some pictures where someone has chambered an incorrect round and bad things happen then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes! The original 38 Long Colt is not the same as the modern 38 Special it is less powerful.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
I owned one of these in .41 Long Colt. Nice little revolver, fun to shoot, but locating ammo was a bit of a problem. The .41 LC surely wasn't an overly powerful cartridge itself, although it reputedly gave respectable stopping power because of its heavier, hollow-based bullet.

I would suspect that the one in question is chambered in .38 Special, but you'd better get confirmation on this. I didn't think a .38 Long/Short Colt version of the Army Special was made, but I could be wrong.
If it is in .38 Special and you want to shoot it, then you're probably aware that this gun should shoot only standard (light) loads, and probably with a lead bullet.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote