New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre'64 M70 Supergrade value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I might sell this rifle and it's tough to get a real world value on it.

Pre'64 Model 70 Supergrade in 270 Win.
This is actually a 1951 barreled action in a 1953 Supergrade stock. The stock came to me on a 257 Roberts that had been rechambered to 250 Ackley Magnum. Stock has a few dings and some surface rust on the steel butt plate. I shot it with Hornady factory SST's and got 1" groups with the old B&L 2.5-8.

I'm thinking it's worth about $1600

what do think?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a couple thoughts. The Cody Museum has the Winchester records. IIRC, for a few bucks they will letter the rifle for you. Is it a cloverleaf tang? The 270 is one of the more common calibers, but is also popular. Many instinctively put Pre-64 and 270 in the same sentence.

Are you talking $1600 Canadian or USD?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Idaho Sharpshooter to get a factory letter if available. Unfortunately it is unlikely records are available for this model, as most Winchester records from 1907-1960 were destroyed in a fire at the factory in 1961.

Still worth a shot though, the address is Cody Firearms Museum, 720 Sheridan Avenue, Cody, WY 82414. They do have records for some Custom Shop models. Fee for research/letter is currently $55 but my understanding is if no records exist there is no charge.

Your letter suggests this is not factory original. May I ask how you know this, and how you established dates of barreled action/stock? Different manufacturing years for barrel/receiver/final assembly are normal. That is, a barrel can be made and stamped "50" for 1950, the receiver made in 1952 and the complete rifle assembled in 1955.

Based on what I see in your photos, I'd pay $1,600 either U.S. or Canadian in a heartbeat and feel guilty about getting such a good deal. Supergrade stocks are worth a bunch all by themselves, and yours looks in very good shape.

Metal looks good, not much wear on the floorplate or bolt knob, doesn't appear to be a reblue job though that requires closer inspection. Only minor flaws I can see are missing front sight hood and missing rear sight (which may have been left off at the factory - sometimes the blank in the sight dovetail cut is marked "Winchester").

I like those old B&L scopes and have recently purchased several, bought one in about the same condition as yours for $100 and another with some finish wear (from Roger Biesen, incidentally) for $90. The bases/rings should be worth another $50 or so.

It appears to be a very collectible rifle in very good shape. At gun shows and on the net I see people asking as much or more for much less desirable model 70s.

Supergrades bring back bad memories for me. About 25 years ago a dealer from whom I'd bought several rifles was selling some of his collection. He had a matched set of pre-war Supergrade 70s (in .300 H&H and .375 H&H) in near new condition. He told me, "You've been a good customer, you can have them both for $3,000."

Never forgive myself for letting those get away!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After posting reply above I came across your earlier thread, in which you explained the rifle was originally a .257 Roberts and had been rechambered. So I guess there is no doubt the barreled action is not original to the stock!

Nonetheless for the condition of the stock and barreled action I'd still cheerfully pay $1,600 but I likely wouldn't feel guilty about it!

Let me add, I respect your integrity. There's so much fakery goes on in gun collecting, plenty of people would stick a barreled action in a Supergrade stock and try to pass it off as factory original.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One good thing is from 1946-1954 Supergrade barreled actions weren't any different from Standards. Before 1946 the barrels were rust blued and from 1955 on barrels were rust blued plus the jeweling. Supergrades prior to 1955 were more often not marked as such than marked with S or Super underneath the chamber or receiver flat.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle appears to be in very good to excellent condition so it very desirable. The problem is that there was a boom to buy the pre 64 that lasted until 1994 which drove the

market pricing for these guns sky high. Once Winchester started reproducing the classic "claw" action again it smothered the boom. The pre 64 is not a novelty anymore and prices

have fallen off. This does not mean that your gun does not have any value, it just means that there are less people willing to give top dollar for it. You are now competing with

brand new Super Grades.

Get the letter of authenticity and then take it to auction.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
a couple thoughts. The Cody Museum has the Winchester records. IIRC, for a few bucks they will letter the rifle for you. Is it a cloverleaf tang? The 270 is one of the more common calibers, but is also popular. Many instinctively put Pre-64 and 270 in the same sentence.

Are you talking $1600 Canadian or USD?

Rich

It doesn't matter ....they are close to parity.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a vintage German made Mark V with that same scope and mount at the gun range today. Just a casual observation.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote