Find
Notify
Tools

Iver Johnson 28 ga. sxs Hercules
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Local gun shop (old-school place) recently got in an Iver Johnson, 28 ga side by side Hercules in pretty good condition. It's double triggers, ejectors, and 28" barrels modified and full. Appears to be an early version with a serial number of 15xx. It's marked that it was made in Canada. Solid condition with a couple (tiny!)cracks in the usual places on the wood. Otherwise it's in good, honest condition and all original.

How scarce are these? They have a $1375 price tag on it but I think I'm going to pass only because it doesn't quite fit me (the old school low comb height doesn't work for me). Otherwise this gun would have probably followed me home as it begs to shoot some skeet, quail, or preserve birds.

It's at Whites Gun Shop in Waterford Michigan, 248 363 8381

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1375 thats laughable IMHO Kind of neat 28 SXS but I wouldn't pay any where close to that for one

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
laughable? How much do those go for P. Dog? Might you have a line on some that are cheaper?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works was headquartered in several U.S. states over its lifetime...three of which included Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Arkansas.

The shotgun you mention was manufactured in Canada by Cooey, for sale under the Iver Johnson name. That model name (Hercules) was last used in 1936.

Most Iver Johnson bicycles, motorcycles, and their other guns were manufactured at their complex in Litchfield, Massachusetts IIRC.

Prices of the Hercules in 28 gauge range up to a base price of $2000 for one in as new condition. To the base one should add up to about 30% premium for ejectors, and another 30% premium for a single selective trigger.

Ones in the condition you describe apparently usually trade for about $800 without the added premiums for the added non-standard features, but these are not usual times for buying & collecting guns. Some sales have been reported in the $1,050 range.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Canuck, I've never seen one of these.