Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a gun on the internet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
A friend who lives in Oregon has a gun he wants to sell. In California you have to go through an FFL but I don't know about Oregon. He is thinking of listing it on Gunsamerica. Anyone have experience with this?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it several times recently. Not a problem for long guns. The firearm must be sent to a ffl dealer to be picked up by the buyer. It is also perfectly legal to transfer a handgun in the same manner, but a handgun must be sent fedex overnite and they charge in excess of $75.00. A private individual may send a long gun to a ffl dealer by u.s. mail or ups. The buyer must provide the seller with a ffl dealer and provide him with a copy of the dealers ffl license. There is a tutorial on gunbroker.com that explains everything.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
an ffl holder can send a handgun through the us mail.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non FFL cannot send ANY firearm through the US Post Office. That includes receivers.

I'm not sure if an FFL can send a firearm through a USPS, but I expect not insofar as it's unlawful to bring a firearm on USPS property.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rooster:
Having worked for an FFL for over 15 years and having had a FFL for 25 years before I gave it up I can assure you that a non FFL can send a long gun (rifle or shotgun), long gun parts or any pistol parts EXCEPT receivers through the US mail as long as they are following the law; such as for repair or customizing, to the factory, or selling to a licensed dealer. An FFL can send ANY firearm through the US mail

Posts: 1649 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooster Coleburn:
Non FFL cannot send ANY firearm through the US Post Office. That includes receivers.

I'm not sure if an FFL can send a firearm through a USPS, but I expect not insofar as it's unlawful to bring a firearm on USPS property.

Roll Eyesget a clue,roo.Your so far off base ,your in left field.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I have done it several times recently. Not a problem for long guns. The firearm must be sent to a ffl dealer to be picked up by the buyer. It is also perfectly legal to transfer a handgun in the same manner, but a handgun must be sent fedex overnite and they charge in excess of $75.00.

UPS decided they were losing too much revenue and will ship handguns 2nd Day Air. It averages $25-$29.00

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As stated above, every fact you posted above is DEAD WRONG.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is the USPS does not even know they can ship a long gun. It took me two days to convince the New Iberia LA post office they could legally ship a rifle. Not sure if it was stupidity or laziness on their part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wel ain't that just wacky, in Canada we send guns through the post office from individual to another with no problems, what is an FFL?

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is an FFL?

An FFL is a federal firearms licensee. He can buy lots of guns in bulk without waiting periods or buying limits. He generally sells them to individuals. He must keep careful records of every purchase or sale involving an individual buyer. He must keep his stock secured. He can receive a gun for you and transfer it to you in accordance with the laws in the state of transfer. An individual takes a handgun for sale to an FFL for shipment to another FFL in the town of the buyer. The buyer shows up at the FFL's place of business and the transfer is made. Joe Blow cannot mail a handgun to Jim Shit in the mails or via common carrier without the FFL making a record of the transfer. To do so is a crime carrying specified federal and/or state penalties. Basically, an FFL is just a way for the gummint to have a record of the sale of firearms to Free men. We never had them before GCA 1968...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wel ain't that just wacky, in Canada we send guns through the post office from individual to another with no problems

The same is true in the U.S. so long as the gun is shipped to a resident of the same state.

The postal employees who serve you at the window frequenly have no clue as to the regulations on many types of shipments. I had to go to the fourth level of supervisor to find someone who knew that I REALLY COULD ship a rifle to an FFL holder. And this was at the central post office serving a city of nearly One Million.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I have read somewhere that you can also ship a long gun through USPS to yourself at another location.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it via UPS, dont trust post office

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
I've run into the problem of an FFL holder not wanting to receive shipment of a gun unless it was from another FFL holder. For the reason, he mentioned the possibility of receiving a stolen or "hot" gun from an individual.

I don't necessarily agree with this policy, but it's his policy and he would quickly tell you to find another FFL holder if you disagreed.

I mention this only as a precaution. Probably some dealers aren't like this, but IMO it's best to ask first if they would receive a gun from an individual.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote