Find
Notify
Tools

.270 win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Does anybody know who offered a .270 win as a standard offering besides winchester in the model 54.I guess I am asking who knocked it out of proprietary standings and when.I have a 54 made in 1926 it with #68xx serial number.
So I know it is one of the earliest existing .270 winchesters built.

Thanks for the help

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1941 Remington began with the short-lived Model 720 which was chambered in both the '06 and 270. So, it took 16-18 years for Remington to get around to chamber the 270. Surely, there had to be someone else before that!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yeah you would think someone would have chambered a rifle earlier than that.

Maybe you are right though,somebody here has the answer though they just need to see this thread. fishing

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I was certain someone here would have this answer.

Cal30

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I would think that the 54 and 70's from Winchester were the only commercially available rifles in that caliber prior to WWII. It was 'their' cartridge after all and that was a pretty big deal in that era.

Besides Winchester's 54/70 and Remington's M-30, who else was making bolt action rifles in North America prior to 1940? Savage made the Super Sporter (Model 40's and 45's?) and the only big game calibers I've seen were 250 & 300 Savage and 30-06. Newton had his own calibers going.

You probably got a very early one. The 270 didn't really get much attention until Jack O'Connor put it on the map.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Matt I think you are probably right

Cal30