Notify
Tools

Rare Pre'64 Model 70's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Reelman,

I'm sure that i'm not the only one here that would really like to see pix of those!

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 399 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to tak my guns out and take pictures of them all sometimes soon as it would be a good idea for insurance also. The Hornet and .257 look almost exactley like yours and were both made in 1948 but the 250/3000 is a Super Grade and was made in 1947 so it has a pre-war type safety.

THe .257 was actually bought off of the classifieds on this forum!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There were a number of goofy non catalogued rifles made up for collectors and we shwon in a prominent magazine about 20 years ago.
The couple had a couple dozen rifles including a heavy barreled target model in .35 Remington.
I suppose anything is possible.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled a prewar standard grade in 250 Sav
several years ago in a pawnshop it was in
terrible condition and sold quickly for 1500,
I have seen one 35 REM at a gunshow and it
appeared to be brand new, saw another in 35
WHELEN that I believe was a rechambered 35
or 358. I know a guy who said he used to own
two Model 54s one was a 9x57 the other a 8x57,
but I never saw them.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know a guy who said he used to own
two Model 54s one was a 9x57 the other a 8x57,
but I never saw them.

Rare Indeed...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that a few Model 70FWTs were
chambered in 222 REM, but there is no solid
proof.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
My rarity is this pre-war carbine, 30-Govt-06, 1939 that is wearing a lyman receiver sight obtained right from this board, thank you very much!
Here's a couple shots.

toes are complementary.

Sir,

You have the Model 70 of my dreams. As a point of interest, Army LTC John George used this exact same rifle in the Burma Campaign in WWII with great effect. He loaned his first one to a buddy who ruined the bore by not cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo in it. Col. George then got a replacement for it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures .

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once read that there was a Pre '64 chambering (One Rifle) in .30-30. The Authenticity has yet determined this though, and it might have been a case where a Model 54 .30-30 WCF barrel was fitted to a Model 70 Action.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last issue of The Winchester Arms Collector's Magazine had an article about a 3 digit M70 in 30/30, I believe it was a carbine. It is pretty well believed that these 30/30 M70's used left over M54 barrels but I bet some of the very early '06, 270, and probably every other caliber were actually made out of left over M54 barrels.

I believe there were a couple M70's in 30/30 made. They are very, very rare but they are out there. I have only seen or heard of one M70 in 25/35 and I bet that was a left over M54 barrel also. It seemed that in the 30's Winchester didn't like to waste anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of the pre 64's but I have a collection of eleven prototype CRF Left Hand M70's consecutivly serial numbered in eleven different calibers, many never produced in production.

I also have the first of two CRF left hand prototype M70 which was made in the Featherweight configuration. All are new never fired except for the factory proof and function.

Hopefully they will be worth something in a few years.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Headache

they will be

Creme dela Creme

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to go down to Randy Shuman's when he owned Shuman's Gun Shop. You could see and handle rare birds in there. Winchester made 10 375 H&H guns with standard barrels and Randy had 6 of them! I also saw and handled Serial #6. As far as 54 barrels, I have a first year production Win 70 30-06 with a 35 dated CMS marked barrel. My friend has a First Target Model 70 in 257 Roberts; that is one of 40 known First Target Models and figure how many of those were 257 Roberts?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have held a mod. 70 chambered in .405win. dr.c

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have held a mod. 70 chambered in .405win. dr.c

I would like to see that one it has to be rare Eeker

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron's Gun Sop in Conn. had a Standard Grade .405. He even brought it to the O.G.C.A. show when it was at the IX Center. I too have been to Shuman's Gun Shop when Randy owned it, and it was a real treat to visit. Randy still goes to the O.G.C.A. show, but mostly sells scopes, and simular items.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a M70 in 22/3000 from the factory with all the paper work showing it's original? My father had this one and made enough when he sold it to start his M70 collection.

Another odd one I have is a 1948 375 without a rear sight. Not nearly as rare as many if the M70's already listed on this thread but still pretty odd. It also shoot really good and already has a bear and deer under it from me and only God knows what it dropped before I got it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reelman 1 A .22/3000 is a very rare gun in the Model 70. Burnett had one on the Gun Room site earlier this year. Is your 1948 .375 drilled for a rear site? I also have a .375 that I enjoy hunting with.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1938 Supergrade barrel for a 375 that was not drilled or dovetailed for a rear sight. I want to say that I installed it onto a 1958 but it may have been a 1948. I had a Lyman 48 on the receiver with custome shaved down Leupold QD bases. Do you know much about the gun's history? It might be my old one!

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no holes or dovetails for a rear sight. The gun does have a Lyman 48 on it which i fully assume is original as it does have a front sight. The gun is also drilled and tapped for a scope which is odd for a 1948 H&H action but since this gun was obviously special ordered I would bet that the D&T is also original.

Aigun, I don't really know anything about the history of the gun. Funny that you mention Leupold QD bases as this is what I put on the gun so that I could pop the scope off and put the Lyman 48 back on. The barrel is not marked super grade and it looks like there was never a scope base on it before but no one can know for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the rear base and screws to a machinist and have him mill a few thousandths off of the top of the base and screw heads, then the 48 can stay in place. Just mill the area near the mounting screws, not the area where the scope ring rests.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to take a look and see if that's possible on my rifle. I have scope mounted pretty low and I don't think there will be enough room with the scope eye piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the most, I may have used high rings. I also used the 3/8" aperture, not the 1/2" or 7/8" target styles. I had a Leupold M8 4X on it most of the time and that is not a tiny occular lens diameter, similar to Vari-X II 3-9 etc. It was a sweet setup. Man I wish I had that gun back!