New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare Pre'64 Model 70's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the years I have seen some very rare Model 70's. Most of them I have seen have been at the O.G.C.A. show (Ohio Gun Collectors Association). This may be of interest to the Model 70 Collector; .22 Hornet Featherwieght, .22 Hornet Super Grade Featherwieght (Eisenhower's farm, Gettysberg), .257 Roberts Featherwieght, .264 Win. Mag. Super Grade, .30 WCF Standard Grade, .300 Win. Mag. Bull Gun, .358 Win. Standard Grade, 9M/M (9x57) Carbine, .35 Whelen, .375 Magnum Carbine, .405 WCF Standard Grade. Also, a .270 Win., and a .300 H&H Mag. with Stainless Steel barrels. I noticed that in May Rock Island Auctions has a Standard Grade .219 Zipper cataloged. I'm interested to find out what Specail Order non-cataloged Model 70's some of you have seen.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a .25/35 carbine? Or a .22/3000 standard rifle? Or a 30WCF carbine? Or a Pre-War marked .30-03?

One's I currently own that I consider pretty rare is a .358 standard wieght WITHOUT sights and a 250/3000 Super Grade Carbine.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Isn't there one recently donated to the NRA museum with a transistor radio in the stock?

I suppose if you have a .35 Remington, 300 Savage, and a 9x57 in your collection you are certainly in the upper one percentile of Model 70 collectors.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it intesting that Winchester would on specail order chamber there Model 70 in a wildcat cartridge. The .22/3000, and the .35 Whelen (at that time). Matt I read the article on the radio Model 70. I beleive it was a .308 Featherwieght. The idea didn't take too well since the music would spook game. Interesting none the less. Also, I agree that a .300 Savage,.35 Rem, and the 9M/M would be a very advanced Model 70 collection. I have only seen maybe two of each caliber mentioned, so they are hardly ever seen or for that matter sold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they made a few Pre-'64's chambered for the .351 WSL, as I read once in a Winchester Model 70 collector's Book.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Just a question but wasn't the Mod 70 chambered for the 7X57 a rare bird? I spent years trying to buy one and was never able to find one.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old M70 chambered for 275 H&H here in CT.

Most of them are 30-06 thank goodness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP, AN original Pre-64 M70 in 7x57, or 7mm Mauser, is truely a rare bird and one of the holy grails of M70 collecting if you are trying to get all the calibers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP, The 7M/M was a regular prodution caliber. Though they only made just over 1,400 of them. Randy Shuman has one listed in the new Gun Diguest for around $4,600.00 If I remember correctly. It is a 1951 Standard grade.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage99, Did you see the .275 H&H, and do you think it is a original gun?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
anybody got a guess on how many 470 capsticks were made? not a pre 64--- but I bet not many.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo Rich,

The rifle belongs to a friend here in CT. It once belonged to Lucian Carey.

I have not seen the gun however I believe my friend. He is of means, been around a long time and a dealer. He uses the rifle for long range deer hunting when he goes south.

You can PM me with your ID and if he wants to he may contact you.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Not sure how rare it is, but there's a LNIB 30-06 Transitional for sale on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93841294

I have a couple transitional. But as I'd want to hunt and shoot with this one, I'll probably pass on this one. I'd bang it up too much.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Transition is a pretty rare bird, one with the box is truelly rare! These are IMHO the best M70's ever made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage99, That was a interesting post. A .275 H&H Magnum is a pretty rare bird. I don't think I have ever seen a rifle chambered in it. A Model 70 chambered in this speedster would be pretty neat, and very desirable for the advanced collector.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will eventually see my friend. I was up in that area yesterday but he does not work there til Friday.

Maybe next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to admit that I misunderstood what my friends M70 is.

He has a custom 275 H&H on a prewar M70 action made by the late Bob Wallack. Its not a factory M70 at all nor even a factory barrel. Sorry for the error.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage99, Thanks for checking up on the Model 70. Although it wouldn't have alot of Collector value, it would make an interesting hunting rifle.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Rare Wink A 9mm mauser or a 7.65x53 mauser in a model 70.

Now those are hard to come by...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:

Cal30

Two questions: Would those have been one off, sutome shop rifles, and was there a list of calibers that were available in the model 70?

'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:

Cal30

Two questions: Would those have been one off, custom shop rifles, and was there a list of calibers that were available in the model 70?

'TrapperP'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Isn't there one recently donated to the NRA museum with a transistor radio in the stock?

I suppose if you have a .35 Remington, 300 Savage, and a 9x57 in your collection you are certainly in the upper one percentile of Model 70 collectors.

I saw the one with the radio about three weeks ago at the NRA Firearms Museum. They had 101 Model 70s. I think the rarest one is in .300 Savage.

Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
They were available by order it was not custom and winchester did not really consider them special order either.
I may be wrong about the 7.65 in the 70 though but it was a standard cal in the 54.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7.65 M/M, and the 9 M/M were standard production guns in the Winchester Model 54. The were "Specail Order" in the Winchester Model 70. I hope that this might clear things up.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
thanks Bo

I was a little off.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
270 Win., and a .300 H&H Mag. with Stainless Steel barrels.

I saw a Model 54 .270 with a stainless barrel about 20 years ago.I did not have the money at that time so it belongs to somebody else now.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal 301906, A Model 54 with a stainless steel barrel would indeed be rare. Did it have the "Japan" painted on finish? I have seen afew Model 70's in both .270, and .300 H&H Magnum with stainless steel barrels. The finish was the later "Mattie" type.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did it have the "Japan" painted on finish?

I am not familular with that term but yes it did appear that it was a black shinny paint that was applied to it.
The word stainless was also spelled "staynless" if I remember right, And it was a 54 barrel that appeared to be all factory.

Believe me if I could go back 20 years I would be the proud owner of it.
My guess was they did not have the know how to plate it in those days so the simple solution was to paint it.

Cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ca30 1906, Yes, that would be the "Japan" painted on finish. I also would like to go back 20 years to buy some of the guns that I pasted on.......oh, well!

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
From [http://www.ogca.com/WRM_collecting_winchester_pre.htm]
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"Collecting Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Rifles"
By Wayne R. Miller

"The pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters were produced in 18 catalogued calibers as follows: .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, 7X57MM, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .375 H&H Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum. Also, a very few were produced in 7.65MM and 9X57 MM prior to World War II in an attempt to lure foreign market.

Perhaps at this point I should point out the possibilities of after-market fakes in these rare calibers. Let it be known that I personally have no proof and am accusing no one but many accusations have been made. Rarity of calibers or rare configurations, of course, command very high prices but the collector must be well informed.

A few Model 70’s have been special ordered in other calibers than the twenty previously mentioned. Unfortunately, we cannot obtain a letter of authenticity from Winchester on bolt action rifles to verify one of these rare rifles."

'TrapperP'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it was in the book THE RIFLEMANS RIFLE that there was one made in 416 Rigby. That is the one I want! Big Grin

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
The finish was the later "Mattie" type.

I am not sure I have seen that finish.

Could you expain that one to me?

cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Mattie" finish was used on all but the very early .220 Swifts in Standard/Supergrade. Since they were stainless steel Winchester iron coated the barrel before they applied the finnish. Early .264 Westerners also had this finnish. If you look at a swift at a gun show, or a picture of one on the internet you will be able to tell the differance from the blued barrels. Back in the late 80's I owned a .270 Standard Grade with a stainless steel barrel with the "Mattie" finish. I regret that I no longer have same. Hopefully, this was helpful,and you have a better understanding of this style of finish that Winchester once offered.

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything exotic, but I do have an unfired, in the box, pre '64, 70 Featherweight in .30-'06

Original receipt and owner's manual.

Probably worth about $100 compared to all the listed rare ones.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
My rarity is this pre-war carbine, 30-Govt-06, 1939 that is wearing a lyman receiver sight obtained right from this board, thank you very much!
Here's a couple shots.

toes are complementary.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 399 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GoWyo, very nice rifle..

I saw ser. #9 at the Houston gun show one year. It's been a few years ago and I think it was 30-06. Also at the same show I saw the only 30-30 I've ever seen in mod. 70.

Question though, a .264 Super Grade? Didn't Winchester stop making the super grade before the .264 came out?

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the rarest model 70 I have seen was a 250 savage. I have seen a target version in 7X57 that I aint likly to see again !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Senero 300, You are correct the Super Grade was discontinued before the .264 was introduced. There were some made up in Super grade on specail order. I did see a new in the box .264 Supergade at a O.G.C.A. show when they were held at the IX Center. That was a heck of a gun show! They don't have the shows there since the center was anxed to Cleveland their gun laws prohibed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
some made up in Super grade on specail order

OK...a friend and I were talking about that last night but we didn't know for sure that they were made up on special order....that's interesting..

Another rifle I had a chance to buy was Bill Jordan's mod. 70. I believe it was a bull gun. It was for sale (a number of years ago...80's maybe) at McBrides in Austin,Tx. It had a letter from Bill etc. They also had some of his pistols for sale but they went very quick.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GoWyo, That's a nice looking carbine. You don't see many carbines regardless of caliber and even a 30/06 is a pretty rare bird. I hade a couple '06 Carbines but have gotten rid of them but I still have Carbines in 250/3000, .257, and .22 Hornet.