THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

remington mod30 or rem mod720 who has one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I am looking for one of these preferably the 720
model And was wonering what price i should expect to pay for one in decent shape.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30 1906,

These rifles have been discussed on here in the last few months on the gunsmith forum. Do a search with the model number and you should find it. Several of the guys posting owned them.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal 30 , I have a m720 and a 1927 custom m30.

There were 2 different completely original m720s on gunbroker/Auction arms a couple months ago . Bidding went up over $1000. Both guns were listed as ended auctions then they were back up on auction again. Dont know what happened about that.

The 720 I have had a crappy custom stock on it(junk) . Im going to restock it soon as I finish other projects. I got a deal on mine. I got a m30 bottom metal for mine as the 720 has the 2 piece bottom,aluminum trigger guard and front tang piece.

Every once in a while ive seen a navy award m720 for sale and they ask like $3000 for them.

Most gunsmiths dont even know what a 720 is.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have seen them also at $3000.00
I like the find when a person does not know what they have and pick them up cheap beacause if you dont someone else will.I dont talk down prices if it is worth it to me i buy If it ain't I dont buy unless the seller agrees on a
lower price.I have never handled one are they
quality?

most of the gunsmiths probably would not know
what a model 725 then either.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 720s are nice actions. They are basicly like a m30 with the guide rib on the bolt. A few things are different. From what I have found out the mag box is shorter in depth with a slimmer stock.

Where are you in N.Idaho? What do you do for a liveing . I might move back to Sandpoint area if I can find a good job or good business.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2, a "civilian" model (serial # 402xx) made during the first year of production and a Secretary of the Navy Trophy gun I won in 1972 (serial # 42xxx) They represent one of the first and one of the last of the approximately 2400 produced (serial #s started at 40000.) You will find that most of the guys with the Sec Nav guns know what they have, so no bargins there. As far as the nonmilitary ones, good luck. Finding one is hard and with the internet being what it is today, not many are lying around undiscovered. I am sure there are a few setting in closets somewhere that will go on the block at an estate auction and go for a song. Problem is being the one that is there when that happens. There was a fairly well used one on Auction Arms not long ago and I believe it went in the $900 range. It was a well used 60 yr old hunting rifle and showed its age. GSP7's gun was on Gun Broker a couple of times before he bought it. About the only thing origional (and correct me GSP7 if I am wrong) was the action. Expect to pay 1500 and up for a good one, the Sec Nav guns were all NIB so they are what tends to set the price so high.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thaine
thanks that helps if i run across one ill keep your post in mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a Remington 30 in 30-06 at Guns Unlimited in Omaha, NE, when I stopped by last week. It was the style with the schnabled forearm and it had been d&t, as it was mounted with an older Weaver (?) scope in Weaver (?) bases. I think that they were asking $350 and it might be worth your time to call them.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Could you describe the shape and possibly get the phone for me? The stock shape you described is exactly the one I was looking for.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to http://www.usa.com, the telephone number for Guns Unlimted is 402-339-0771. I only looked at it in passing and since I am not a collector of Remington 30s, I don't think that I could offer an informed opinion on this rifle.

Good luck!

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
260 thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped at GU today, but the Remington 30 was gone. I was going to get the SN and a better description for you. 'Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
260 thanks
it was not my time I guess but thanks for the trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun your looking for is it Remington model 30s I have one, I could send photo, but don't know how to upload photo on this site, if you could tell me how I would be glad to post
manitou210

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Id like to see it but I dont know how to tell you to do it myself.. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GUNS UNLIMITED had that Remington 30 back in the rack last week priced at $375, so you might call them and check to see if they still have it and if it is what you are looking for.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
260 thanks again Smiler

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
260 did you work the action?
does it fel like it is worn out?

Just wondering

Don