New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock finish on Model 70
 Login/Join

posted
Hello
I recently purchased a Model 70 made in 1952 from its original owner. The finish is flaked for about 3 inches up from the butt. There is no damage to the wood. I would like to protect the wood but do not want to hurt the value. A guy I know said to put tung oil on it but I would like to hear from others. Thankyou

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am no expert, but if the current finish is a wreck I doubt having the stock refinished would have much of an impact on this rifle....unless it is some one of a kind or very limited issue rifle. This will not apply to some of the old lever action winchesters, but for a m-70 it should.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,
Look here. Thanks...Bill.

http://www.winrest.com/

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote