Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting browning auto 5's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted
other then condition and age what should one look for. Belgian's or what.
I want to buy an A5 as a shooter but would also like to get one that may have some value.
I have the opportunity to pick one up that may be a late 70's model I believe it was a Missouri manufactured gun not sure though. for $1200 it's just about new in box. I'd be surprised if it had a box or shells through it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were no A5's made in Missouri. Either Belgium or Japan. There were some made in America when Belgium was occupied during WW2 but that is a whole different subject.
That late 70's model was probally made in Japan.
For $1200 it's way over priced unless it's a Mag Stalker which are very desirble right now.
A5 prices have been coming down lately.
Some things drive the price up. Vented ribs are desirble but a plain barrel, which I would rather have for hunting because the balance is better, will bring the price down a couple of hundred.
If you want to learn about A5's go to Shotgunworld.com and go to the "I love my Browning" threads. Some real friendly people with some unbelievble amount of knowldge that won't steer you wrong.
You might want to take a couple of weeks vacation though, there's that much there about A5's.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ok I went in and took a better look at this one.
According to the Browning sight it a 1978 Belgian made light 12.
It's basically new old stock once again it has no wear that can be seen it appears to be in new to extremely lightly used condition

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Technically, Browning didn't make the Auto 5's in Belgium. They were made by Fabrique Nationale (FN) under contract to Browning. FN also paid for the right to manufacture and sell the A5 in countries other than the United States. FN Manufactured the gun for most years from 1903 until the 1980's.

In the case of Browning importing the gun with their name, the dates are as follows:

Several Thousand guns with the name Browning Automatic Arms Co. were imported in 1903.

No imports after 1903 until 1923.

Under Browning Arms Co, they imported guns from 1923 to 1940. (stopped due to WWII)

Browning imported from FN starting up again in 1946 and was continuous until 1978.

Some Auto 5 production was moved to Japan in 1976, but FN still produced certain A5 models until 1978.

FN produced a limited number of A5 12 Magnums for Browning in 1984.

Summary of Belgian made Browning Auto 5's: 1903 / 1923-1940 / 1946-1978 / 1984

Must have been one of the last ones. Some things to look for are cracks in the forearm, cracks in the stock and an origional butt plate on the stock.

Sounds like you got a good one. You can usually find one in good shape to hunt with for about $500 to $600.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have it in front of me, but there is a good book out. It is called "Browning Guns". It has a wealth of information in it. The one thing about A5s to remember is the more engraving the more collectable it is. You will find some with engraving on the tang, some on the trigger guard, the more on the side scroll, the better. It is like any hobby, the more you learn, the more you spend! Good luck and have have fun with it!

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weren't A5s, or A5 copies, also made by Savage and Remington, under the Savage and Remington names and by license from Browning?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep The Remington was a model 11 And I couldn't tell you what the savage model was.

I just like the fact that this shotgun was designed in 1898 and patented in 1903 They have a huge amount of history behind them. and until a few years ago they were still available in a gun shop.
It still amazes me that the 1911 is still the most popular handgun and it's delayed blow back system is used in 99% of all auto loading pistols with some minor design changes

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found out that the Savage was a model 720.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote