THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

should I get the High Standard refinished?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I do hope I posted this in the appropriate forum. Please forgive if not....

I just bought for my father's 75th birthday a High Standard HD military .22. It's an exact copy of one he sold back in '46 or 47 or so and has been wishing he hadn't sold since then. It's got a fair amound to bluing loss, but is in functionally great shape.

I don't think it's worth a fortune and they're not extremely rare, I don't think, so I've been tossing around the idea of getting it re-blued to be able to give him a 'new' gun for his birthday.

I don't know if this is a dumb idea or not, and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Posts: 95 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a Woodsman once and it came out quite good. It's quite hard to do right so as not to spoil the shapes and edges.

I don't think I would do another one unless it were really rusty.

The thing is how the gun looks to you. If you think it needs it then get it done.

Ask your dad what his looked like condition wise.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dawg_doc:
I do hope I posted this in the appropriate forum. Please forgive if not....

I just bought for my father's 75th birthday a High Standard HD military .22. It's an exact copy of one he sold back in '46 or 47 or so and has been wishing he hadn't sold since then. It's got a fair amound to bluing loss, but is in functionally great shape.

I don't think it's worth a fortune and they're not extremely rare, I don't think, so I've been tossing around the idea of getting it re-blued to be able to give him a 'new' gun for his birthday.

I don't know if this is a dumb idea or not, and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.
Since you bought the gun to shoot, or rather for your dad to shoot, vice filling a spot in a collection, I'd say most definitely get it reblued. However, to get a GOOD reblue, you may need to spend a little money. To me, a reblue where significant numbers and letters have been buffed just looks like.......shit. A GOOD reblue will spare the lettering and numbering, but will be somewhat labor intensive (we're not talking the price of a custom built rifle, but maybe a couple of hundred dollars). Once you see the results, you'll agree that the price is worth it.

Ask Phil Filing of Glenrock Blue http://www.gunbluing.com and maybe ask around in the gunsmithing forum here.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice.

I think I knew the answer, but I appreciate you guys verifying. One, I've never been able to sell a gun in my life, so values mean little and two, it's a replacement for an empty spot in my Dad's safe. Mechanically, the gun's in beautiful condition, but lots of holster wear.

I think I'll get it refinished,and try to find a good (old) leather holster, or have one made. Dad's going to get a 'new' gun for his birthday.

Posts: 95 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dawg_doc:
I think I'll get it refinished,and try to find a good (old) leather holster, or have one made. Dad's going to get a 'new' gun for his birthday.
Good choice. Allow me to recommend http://www.epsaddlery.com for a high-quality holster.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote