New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Double Automatic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a browning double auto in a pawn shop in fair condition (around 65%) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about these or could offer a little info on when they were made or knew what the approximate value might be. Thanks

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, the action is a "short recoil" or recoiling chamber design. The steel receiver model was called the "Twelvette" and the aluminum receiver was called the "Twentyweight". A nice, clean, fasthandling design, but never gained much popularity due to the limitation of two shots while other autos provided up to five. I think there were two different grades, distinguished by the amount of gold inlay. I really can't say what one is worth, but most any gun in 65% condition is only worth whatever it will bring as a "shooter".

It seems like these guns were made from about the late 50's or early 60's until somewhere in the late 60's. You might find better dates on the Browning website: www.browningarms.com

I'm enough of a Browning fan that I'd buy one at the right price, just for the sake of ownership; I'll wager there are a lot more people out there like me in that regard.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually,just the barrels will sell on e-Bay for more than that, esp. if not "full"choke..Congrats..Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ark_Fxxxxxx: Sourced from "Blue Book xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",19th Ed. Browning Double Auto Manufactured from 1952 to 1971. 60% ,plain barrel,$200. Vent rib. $245-295,depending on steel or Alum Frame model. Hearsay that the alum frame ones,especially the "twentyweight" were as prone to peening and frame cracks as the winchecter md.59..something to watch for,anyway...Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, he had it marked for 150, got it for $75

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote