New
Find
Notify
Tools

need remington 30 express information
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
howdy folks. because i don't know where this will get more attention, i'm posting it in gunsmithing and the gun collecting forums.
my father has recenting passed down to me a remington model 30 in 30-06. after quite a bit of reading online about this rifle, i'm still unclear about a few things. so i'd like to describe it for you guys and see what you can tell me about it

serial number is 8XXX
22 inch barrel in 30-06
back sight dovetailed into barrel band.
front swivel stud NOT attached to back sight barrel band
stock is checkered at grip and forearm..no finger grooves
schnabel(sp??) fore end tip
front sight pinned to front sight barrel band(front sight band also pinned to barrel)
it is D&Ted for a receiver sight
also D&Ted for scope base(2 holes in front ring and 1 in rear) nicely done
also D&Ted on left side of action for some sort of side mount. nicely done
don't know about buttplate as it's been replaced with a recoil pad
no date code on barrel forward of left side of action. instead it says "30 springfield"
"1906"
on left forward of action it says "model 30"
"express"
"8XXX"

my questions:

when was it made?
exactly which model 30 is it? 30A, 30S, ???
i figure the D&T for the receiver sight is probably from the factory but what about the D&T for the scope base and side mount? factory or not? it came with a one piece redfield base but the base looks a lot newer than the rifle.
can the rear sight(and barrel band) be removed easily and which receiver sight is period correct?

if any more info is needed to figure out what i have, please let me know.

i don't plan to alter it in any way. i plan to get some screws to fill the holes where the scope mount screwed on and hunt with it useing the open sights. until my eyes go completely bad, then i may put the scope mount back on and use a scope.

thanks for any info/input/ comments.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Hogkiller.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote