New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early Remington 870
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not quite a Wby or H&H, but I got asked to appraise this: Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 ga. It has a maple stock and a BRASS magazine tube cap. Both stock and mag cap are perfect duplicates of the normal walnut and steel counterparts. Owner says her father bought it new in the Detroit area in mid-1950's and it has now come to her. Nothing in any of the usual reference books about maple stocks or brass fittings. I assume this could have been a special order. Appreciate any info.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably what they called a "Sungrain" sold in late 50s early 60s. You don't specify condition, but if it was in excellent shape, I'd value it at about $350 to $400 and hope a collector would buy it. This compares to $250 to $300 for the same gun in a walnut blued 870. Lesser condition, say a decent good-very good, I'd subtract about $50 from each. I'm not an appraiser and these are just my feel for values based on what I see 870s selling for in the local area. He could always start it at $500 and see if he got any bites.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It is in very good condition. Used, but not abused. 95%+ metal and wood condition. Appraisal is for current owner who inherited it from her father.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote