THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone heard of an H&R double that shoots...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
a .410 and either the 44-40 or another older rifle cartridge?....I had a guy ask me about that over 20 years ago and I looked in the shotgun news for a long time and finally found one listed as such, and I mailed out my check, but it was sent back because a collector had snuck in under me via faster mail to get the gun....and I NEVER heard of or seen that gun listed again....I cant remember if the gun was rifled or not, but it was listed as a shotgun....to me it seems the neck would blow open on the 44-40, so maybe it was another round like the 45 colt...but the guy specifically asked for it and I actually found one lsited as such!!!!!!!!!! but not since. And none of the books I have mention a gun like that....anyone?.......Bob

Posts: 125 | Location: ct | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think maybe your confusing one of the old H&R single barrel shotguns with a double. Some of their early .410's were cut to chamber and fire: .410 2-1/2" shot, .410 2-1/2" slug, 44 Game Getter, .44-40 shot, and some of the like cases loaded with a round ball. Although they didn't advertise them as shooting the .44 WCF jacketed loads, undoubtedly these were used. Usually the barrels will be marked 10mm/44XL or something similar. This, when in print, might read as if it were a double. I had one of these for years. I have some old H&R catalogs and will look at them tonight to see if I can get a more accurate chamber marking.

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply. But it was a true side by side....I had found one in the shotgun news and sent my ffl out and check only to have it returned when the dealer told me a regular customer drove over to the store to purchase before me.....it was a sxs and it sounded exactly the way you described the single shot....I was trying to find it for a friend who had one many years ago and wanted another...he settled for a really nice Savage BSE in .410, that I found for $200!!!!!!!!!!!! I had that gun for a week before I sold it to him, and I never wanted to give it up!!!...now the .410 BSE's are going for big bucks....bob

Posts: 125 | Location: ct | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was the H & R Auto Burgler, which was a .410 SxS pistol with about 10 or 12 inch barrels. It was made prior to the NFA of 1938 and, I believe, is legal under the curio and relic provisions. They bring a helluva price.

I would assume that H & R made a conventional shotgun on the same frame, but I don't know its designation.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be an Ithaca Auto and Burgler, not an H&R. H&R made a single shot pistol in .410 called the Handy Gun. Available in two barrel lengths and in both .410 and 28 guage.

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
The closest I have seen, it the HR survivor in a .410/45LC. Pretty neat little SINGLE barrel setup.

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, LC '92, I stand corrected!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote