New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharps Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you guys help me identify and assign an approximate value to this 1874 Sharps? Anyone ever seen this other mark (maybe a retailer?) stamped on the barrel?

Thanks much for the help.

Posts: 1308 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't got my books at hand right now, but Freund was a shop that often did aftermarket customisation, for lack of a better term. They were a point of contact for the Sharps company, and developed some improvements to the SHarps that have at times clouded judgement as to what was originally produced by the SHarps company. They set up shop in Cheyenne WY. Here is a short bit that I was able to locate about them.

Brothers Frank and George Freund emigrated from Germany in 1857. These two gunsmiths went West after the Civil War, operating as partners until the 1880s. Both held firearms patents for innovations that were used on various rifles, including Sharps models. In addition, Frank also produced top-quality rifles of his own design based on modified Sharps actions. Often, though, the presence of Freund markings on these arms were in connection with their role as dealers and agents for the well-known Connecticut manufacturer

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy it. It has been "reworked" considerably and is worth a lot less than you think.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insights. Sharpsguy, can you be more specific?

Posts: 1308 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stokes--Check your PM.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote