The Accurate Reloading Forums
Sharps Rifle

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1221043/m/5711077481

25 January 2013, 08:16
Stokes
Sharps Rifle
Can you guys help me identify and assign an approximate value to this 1874 Sharps? Anyone ever seen this other mark (maybe a retailer?) stamped on the barrel?

Thanks much for the help.

26 January 2013, 09:58
Rhys
I haven't got my books at hand right now, but Freund was a shop that often did aftermarket customisation, for lack of a better term. They were a point of contact for the Sharps company, and developed some improvements to the SHarps that have at times clouded judgement as to what was originally produced by the SHarps company. They set up shop in Cheyenne WY. Here is a short bit that I was able to locate about them.

Brothers Frank and George Freund emigrated from Germany in 1857. These two gunsmiths went West after the Civil War, operating as partners until the 1880s. Both held firearms patents for innovations that were used on various rifles, including Sharps models. In addition, Frank also produced top-quality rifles of his own design based on modified Sharps actions. Often, though, the presence of Freund markings on these arms were in connection with their role as dealers and agents for the well-known Connecticut manufacturer

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!
26 January 2013, 19:37
sharpsguy
Don't buy it. It has been "reworked" considerably and is worth a lot less than you think.
27 January 2013, 00:17
Stokes
Thanks for the insights. Sharpsguy, can you be more specific?
27 January 2013, 17:39
sharpsguy
Stokes--Check your PM.