Notify
Tools

O.K. Guy's, How bad did I screw up?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted
Gentlemen,

Three years ago I was driving through Mitchell S.D. and stopped at Cabela's. Upon visiting their gun library, I found a Win. M70 in .375 H&H. It was a very nice piece from the custom shop and the floor plate was gold inlayed with an African Lion. I soon found out that this was #1 in a set of rifles released by U.S.R.A.C. as the "African Big Five" series. I have since purchased the remaining rifles, all of which carry serial number 17. The calibers are .375 H&H (Lion), .458 Win (Elephant), .338 Win Mag (Leopard), .416 Rem (Cape Buff) and .470 Capstick (Rhino). This was a series of 125 sets. All rifles are C.R.F. with 24k inlay of the animal on the floor plate. Hand work has been performed in the key areas of the receiver, engine turned bolt body with knurled bolt handle, one piece bottom metal and all carry two cross bolts. My question is, have I screwed up the value dramatically by shooting the .375? It carries a Leopold VX3 2.5X8 with Talley QD mounts. It has been fired approx. 30 times, and over all condition is 95%. All other rifles are N.I.B., un-handled and un-fired. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the value of the "instant collectibles" lies in their being unfired. And then you have to find someone who wants them. I think you should shoot them and enjoy them because you will not realize investment type appreciation. I say this because I am a member of the "been there, done that " crowd. Go to Cabellas or Scheels and see what they would give you. I doubt you would be pleased. This stuff you buy to enjoy. LOL

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lord, lord, lord !!!

What's the point of owning guns you don't dare shoot?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
How can someone tell that it's been shot? Look at it this way. I think the factory test fires them so all of your guns have been shot!

I bought a Colt New Frontier twenty years ago and never turned it. Now it's out on consignment. No big deal, I enjoyed owning it and shot another.

Just enjoy yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's easy to make your set completely matching again: Just shoot the others!

It will be a number of years before your rifles will bring as much as you likely paid for them on the general market. Since all guns are fired by somebody (at least before leaving the factory; everybody drives a used car, you know), the difference in an "unfired" gun and one which has been fired sparingly and cared for judiciously is not that great with most would be buyers. As with a potential mate, condition is more important than virginity.

Now, if you really want them to be valuable to both you and a buyer, take them to Africa and shoot the game matching the designation with each rifle and document the achievement. Of course, if you can afford to do that, why are you worried about the 10% difference in the value of an "unfired" rifle as opposed to a "fired" rifle? [Big Grin]

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!

You told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to shoot the remaining four rifles. Screw it! I never bought them with the intention of making money any way. I even purchased a blank one piece bottom metal from the custom shop (which will fit all five) so I don't Fung up the pretty ones! I can only hope that the other four shoot as well as the .375 H&H. I have to admit that I am a little nervous about the .458 and .470, I've never fired anything larger than a .416. Thank God the rifles are all in the 10.5 to 11 lb. range! Stonecreek has a great idea about taking all of the rifles to Africa. All I need to do is find someone to finance the Elephant, Rhino and Lion part!! [Big Grin]

Thanks Again,

BOWHUNR

P.S. Damn-- That .470 Capstick ammo is expensive!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote