Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 50
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
12 gauge--imp cyl- serial #62###

is it worth anything? or should I try to find a new stock and full choke barrel and use it to chase Turkey??

thanks

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 'em -- but that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything.

Unlike rifles from the '50s and '60s, shotguns of that era aren't in quite such demand because they tended to have plain, unribbed barrels and sometimes the abomination of an adjustable choke stuck on the end of the barrel. Add to that the fact that a 50 year-old shotgun is likely to have been fired thousands of times, whereas a 50 year-old "deer rifle" may not have been shot more than a few dozen times.

I take it that since you're asking about possibly finding a new stock and barrel, this example is fairly well-used? If so, keep it and shoot it. It won't bring enough to replace it with one of those Walmart special Remingtons stocked with a piece of two-by-four or a piece of blackened plastic, and it's a much better shooter than those.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the special thing about your model 50 is that Imp.Cyl Barrel,which by itself might bring as much as a complete "beater" with 30" full choke barrel.. If you hunt anything where an open choke is the "weaponb of choice" It will do good work for you, still a fair quantity of parts show up on e-Bay,et al... Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just being nosey, but whats wrong with the stock?
I "had" a Model 50 for several years that actually belonged to my ex-father in law. When I gave him back his daughter he wanted the gun back too. I shot it quite a lot and really liked it. If you decide to keep it, I'd recommend searching out a replacement hammer for it. I broke one and thought I was going to die of old age looking for a replacement!

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote