New
Find
Notify
Tools

SxS hammergun parts question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some pieces of shotguns from my great uncles collection that are quite old. The barrels, forarm, and parts of the receiver of one gun are together and the butt stock and receiver (missing one side plate and one hammer) are a unit. They are both rusty and in no way shootable, but with a little fitting of the internal metal, could be assembled as one almost complete gun for a wall hanger. My family have had them for 15 years after my uncle passed away. I assume he picked them up somewhere as parts or maybe they belonged to a relative? There isn't any specific value to me as they are, but have been wanting a double barrel shotgun to hang on the wall of my "hunting room". Would I be making a mistake by modifying them slitghly to assemble as one gun? What would be the best way to research any collectors value to the pieces I have before I alter them?

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After cleaning, I looked at the guns a little better last night and found no brand on them. There is serial numbers and some proof marks under the barrel. According to my Blue book, they are Belguim proof marks. I did check that it is a 12 gauge, both barrels choked the same. The pistol grip is rounded like an A-5 and both stocks are walnut. With neither gun complete or in very good condition, I doubt it would hurt anything to machine them to fit together. I am still going to have someone look at them.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote