New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 54 winchester action 30wcf
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings and happy new year. I've a winchester model 54 action that I would like some idea of its value. Barrel stub indicates it was made in 1928. Bolt handle done in model 70 style by griffen & howe new york. Some minor pitting below stock line. Place where I bought this action many years ago had a fiber barrel full of the barreled actions and no stocks. Supposedly they were imported into the U.S. from south american country. Thanks Frank

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Frank

I am no expert but without the stock I think it would be worth around 250. or so if the bottom metal and trigger are thereand it is in good shape.

I might be wrong but I have seen them with cracked stocks for around 350. but at least they did have a stock...

Those stocks are hard to come by.

I might be wrong somebody else may chime in.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a model 54 stock on ebay or gunbroker last week.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Singleshotlover

That stock is on E-bay 2 days left 7 bids at 148.00.

If I was you I would try like hell to get it, You dont see them very often.

cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have a stock done by a local gunsmith. Fajen or bishop don't remember exactly which one. Barrel was like the inside of a coal mine. Very little rifling left. No amount of cleaning, scrubbing or harsh language could get it clean. The origional bolt handle was done by griffen and howe at the aberchrombie & Fitch place in new york city. Took the barrel off and have the stub as it shows how it was machined so as to accept the 30-30 cartridge. The lyman 57 steel sight that went with it attaches on the left hand side of the receiver and the top of the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope bases and rings.Redfield used to or still might make the junior bases as they are listed for the model 54.Si its been sitting in the bottom of my cabinet for quite a few years Thanks for the answers. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion that Win 54 action isn't worth much. The 30-30 part kills what little worth that would have to most people. A pre 64 Win 70 barrel will work, but you aren't going to find one in 30-30 or 32 Special, and like like 54 stocks, barrels don't turn up often. A custom barrel sounds like the fix and may as well be a 32 Special.

Pre war M70 bases (below 66,300) are the same as 54. Frank DeHaas' Bolt Action Rifles has prints for the barrel shank.

The 54 is just so crude and actually takes a lot more work to upgrade than a mauser. Most people that want a 54 have a 54, and usually a good one. This is my opinion anyways. You would think that they would bring some money as there were only 50,000 made, compared to half a million pre 64 70's.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Singleshot

Do you have the bottom metal and trigger?
They are hard to come by also.

Cal30

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My Model 54 has Talley bases.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Singleshot that stock went for $301.00 on Ebay.

More than I thoufgt it would...

cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal30,yes I have the origional bottom metal. All it is a one piece of stamped metal. Includes trigger guard, magazine floorplate and both holes for the trigger guard screws. Been toying with the idea of getting a good douglas bbl with 1x12 twist and about 24" long. Have a nice winchester marksman stock that with a little work will take the action. Would make a nice cast boolit rifle.
Brass is still cheap, easy on powder, low recoil, and set up for either target sights or get my redfield 3200 in 24x installed. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than alter the stock to the action, you may want to alter the action to the stock. All you need to do is drill and tap the hole in the flat behind the lug and then use pre 64 win 70 bottom metal. Just another thought, Although it wouldn't take much modifying either way.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
Rather than alter the stock to the action, you may want to alter the action to the stock. All you need to do is drill and tap the hole in the flat behind the lug and then use pre 64 win 70 bottom metal. Just another thought, Although it wouldn't take much modifying either way.

That was my plan after I got mine. I even picked up some bottom metal. So far other projects have pushed it back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've had this action for over thirty years now. Scrounged the bits and pieces over the same time period. Even got a canjar single set trigger which will work in my post 64 30-06 match rifle and if I rework the firing pin, using a post '64 winchester cocking piece, make up a new striker rod out of lasalle fatique proof steel I'll still be able to use the origional locking collar and springfield firing pin. regards, Frank

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
A Model 54 in great shape chambered in 30/30 is on my short list of 'dream rifles' I'd like to have..

one in 35 Remington is on the list also...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice mod 54 in 30-30 win and it will be among the very last I part with. The action cycles as smoothe as silk, and if you want to see how accurate a 30wcf can be you need to shoot one to believe it. I think that win. did a lot of work(read hand fitting) to that rifle so that it would feed the rimmed cases well. Do Not underrate the mod 54 30 wcf. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle