Notify
Tools

Ottmar Raffle
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
After some nasty computer problems and some frantic work load obligations I am back to repost the dialog and photos for this raffle.

The Ottmar Rifle was started over 5 years ago when I was helping Maurice with the sale of his shop. At one point in time, he handed me what was his last project and asked me to sell it as is. It was a Peruvian Mauser 98 chambered in 6mm Remington and partially inletted into an incredible blank of Turkish walnut. He wanted $1200 for it. After taking it home, I got to thinking and called him to see if he would allow me to finish the gun so he would get more money for it. He graciously agreed. After the word got out, a number of his gummaker friends requested that they help with the project.

Initially Ray Price was going to do the checkering on the stock but unfortunately Ray passed away to cancer before the time came for him to do the work. I remember the day when he told me apologetically that he would not be able to due it due to his health.

The rifle is now complete and the list of people that contributed is as follows. I finished the inletting, shaping and applied the finish on the stock and it was checkered by Gary Goudy stepped in for Ray and checkered the gun. I fit a leather covered pad to the stock.

Mark Stratton built a set of custom scope bases for the Talley scope rings that were donated by Gary Turner of Talley Manufacturing. The Leupold Vari X-III 1 3/4 to 6 scope was donated by Leupold and Stevens.

The three position safey was donated by Jim Wisner, Precise Metalsmithing Enterprising. The safety was fit to the rifle by Jim Dubell, who also built a lever release and hinged the floor plate of the original military bottom metal. The bow of the bottom metal had been given a wonderful shape by the hands of Maurice.

Ted Blackburn donated a trigger for the rifle and had wanted to donate bottom metal but we wanted to keep as much of Maurice work in place on the final product.

Roger Kehr did the engraving on the rifle. That was so very fitting as he and Maurice were great friends and had collaborated on a number of wonderful rifles over the years. I rust blued the rifle with Gun Goddess that I acquired from Maurice.

The rifle will be raffled off using a system that takes the numbers from the stock market closing.

We will limit the ticket sales to 400. The first day of the "drawing" will determine with set of 100 tickets, 0 to 99, 100 to 199, 200 to 299 and 300 to 399. The second day will determine the tens place on the ticket and the last day will determine the ones digit.

The price of the tickets will be $25 or a single ticket or 5 for $100.

Please send a check or money order made out to Monika Ottmar C/O Chic Worthing
3020 Conarty Road
Malaga WA 98828.

Monika is Maurice's widow and all the proceeds will be going to her.

Anyone is allowed to submit for tickets. If you are from out of the United States, I will work with you to export the rifle but any additional expense for the exportation and duty will be paid by the winner of the rifle.

Now for some eye candy of the rifle.

This photo, given the shirt style was probably taken in the 70's. I just wanted any of you that had not had the rare priveledge of meeting Maurice, to at least be able to see what he looked like in the prime of his life.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote